Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids books, and so on...

Hey every one,
Thursdaynext Told me about some good feminist or "right on" kids books, and I thought it would be cool to see if any one else had recommendations!

Thursdaynext told me about:

The paper bag princess By: Rober N. Munsch and Michael Martchenko
(I love this book! Kali got it for x-mas and I passed it on to ammasmama I loved it so much!)

Princess Smartypants By: Babette Cole
Prince Cinders By: Babette Cole

My recommendation
The Big Box By: Toni Morission And Slade Morrision 
( This isn't a feminist book, but it is pretty rad!

by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 7:42 PM
Replies (21-26):
peacelotus
by on Aug. 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM

My dd and I love the Patricia C. Wrede books.  A prince comes looking for the princess to rescue her after she runs away and she tells him to get lost!

jessilin79
by on Aug. 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM

These are all fantastic suggestions (whoever mentioned the Olivia books, I freaking love those).  I'd like to see some good feminist suggestions for boys.  I mean, I know boys can read these and enjoy them, my 3 and 1/2 year old loves the Olivia books, but I guess I'm looking for books from a boys point of view.  The only one I can think of, I mentioned it in another post, is William's Doll.  I would post a link but just realized I"m using Firefox and can't cut and paste and don't want to rewrite this whole thing...sorry.  It's a great book about a boy who wants a doll, his brother calls him a freak and a sissy and what not, until his grandma buys him one and explains to the others it will help him become a good father.  I mean books like that, that sort of subvert gender roles.

Rayshawn
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Quoting feministmama:

Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman is a favorite of mine!  I bought it for all of my nieces.   This site is a great resource for children and adolescent books with a feminist bent:

www.heartless-bitches.com/culture/kidsbooks.shtml

Amazing Grace is a TOTAL FAVORITE of mine too!  I also buy it regularly as a present for the children in my life!!!!

ocpyropunkmom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I read my girls the Paperbag Princess and Princess Smartypants back in the '80s!  They are great books!   Check out SLEEPING UGLY by Jane Yolen, a wonderful retelling of the fairy tale.  I also loved BRAVE IRENE by Robert Steig, A CHAIR FOR MY MOTHER and PRINCESS FURBALL (cannot recall the last books' authors).

dharmas_mommy
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I got my daughter The Paperbag Princess and we're looking to add Princess Smartypants. I heard theres a book about role reversal in Rapunzel too.  A friend and I are writing/illustrating a series of books about a knight who's afraid of the dark and the princess who always saves him. It's called Sir Sterling Von Shinybottom: The Knight Who's Afraid of the Dark. It also addresses fears and bullying as well as gender equality.

Get ready for this, I'm a young, unmarried, Wiccan, non spanking, short term breastfeeding, gay marriage supporting, future public school teacher, non-athletic, politically independent, Pro Choice, feminist, disposible diapering, vaccinating, non organic food eating,  full time working and full time student mother of 1 beautiful toddler named Dharma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)