Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feminist Reading

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

Hello Everyone!

I'm hoping to start a discussion or at least start a list of books (any genre) that you all found inspirational, empowering, etc. Are there any feminist authors in particular that you like and enjoy? Are there any books that you stumbled upon that struck you as amazing or a read that you wanted to share, but weren't sure how friends and family would react?

Lets start a list! A little info about the book and why you enjoyed it would be great too!

by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Imamom4sure
by Member on Mar. 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM

off top of my head:

bell hooks is a feminist writer I enjoy very much, she combines issues of race/class and sex. because the paradigm that its okay to have someone be treated less than is related in all those things, cant transform away from sexism while being a racist and vise versa

marylin french and her Beyond Power: Men, woman and Morals, (she discusses the patriarchal value system vs matricentric value system. 

and I consider these two men to be feminist, 

howard Zinn and Steven Wineman, they discuss inter related struggles of class, sex, race, etc too. Steven wineman has a very wonderful book (free online) about "power under" mainly about healing and overcoming violence without perpetuating the paradigm that creates violence, and issues for social change he clearly has laid out as how related to personal recovery from things such as rape, child abuse etc.

I have many more, but how's that to get you started! :)

have fun,

kim

ps I love discussing books too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)