Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"The Perfect Wife"

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 578 Total Views

The perfect wife .

I couldn't resist responding to this journal post. It basically says that being a lovely and quiet housekeeper is the best way to keep your man. Dear lord. The idea is that since the husband has such a hard day at work that he should be catered to so he wants to be with you. (Hey! Women are allowed in the workplace now, you know?)

Ridiculous. Go look. I mean - "Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift."

I am not trying to make fun of the mom who posted this, but I could not be further from the ideal of womanhood that this list suggests. And I am totally fine with that. 

by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Intrepid
by Member on Jun. 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM

This is like a throw-back to the 1950s. I remember seeing books and documentaries about women undergoing charm school classes that taught this very thing. (Have you seen the movie Mona Lisa Smiles ?)

I'm sure there are plenty of men out there who would agree with this motto, but personally I prefer to come home from work and have THEM wait on ME. The reality is, though, we typically look at each other in exhaustion, grab the kid and the car keys and go out for pizze.

good

LittleWeloosMom
by Member on Jun. 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Yeah, I just can't imagine having the time to interact with my child while still being preoccupied with whether I have fresh lipstick on, or a shiny ribbon in my hair for when the husband comes home. Lol. (And have you actually worn ribbons in your hair? I mean, after age six?!)

xXxLillithxXx
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I hate that people really think this...I mean its fine if this is what you want for yourself personally but to say that women everywhere should cater to their men like they are incapable of doing anything for themselves is ludicrous. I like doing things for my man too but he knows its on a feel like it basis and if I do it great if I don't oh well.

Cat_P
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Oh....echos from Psalm 31... What a wretched reading. 

Well, I don't resemble that and am greatful....LOL I also don't think that she should be made fun of though. Feminism is about sisterhood and accepting that you know, some women have lived with this kind of brainwashing and truly feel this is how they're supposed to be.

We've got so much woman-hating man influence out there that rips us apart when we really should be standing together.

Just my two cents :)

mamicharacter
by on Aug. 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM

BUMP!

3JuJu3
by Member on Sep. 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Even assuming that she's gearing this bit of advice for stay at home moms, it is still unrealistic.  If that were the case, shouldn't the husband come home making sure he's freshly shaven and looking sharp with interesting things to talk to the wife about - after all she spent a tiring day with kids doing chores and errands for the family.  The truth is, as one poster put it, most of the time both parents are working and doing what they can just to get through the day.  It is good marriage advice for BOTH spouses to try to do something a little extra for each other every once in awhile. 

Imamom4sure
by Member on Sep. 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM

right on!

Quoting 3JuJu3:

Even assuming that she's gearing this bit of advice for stay at home moms, it is still unrealistic.  If that were the case, shouldn't the husband come home making sure he's freshly shaven and looking sharp with interesting things to talk to the wife about - after all she spent a tiring day with kids doing chores and errands for the family.  The truth is, as one poster put it, most of the time both parents are working and doing what they can just to get through the day.  It is good marriage advice for BOTH spouses to try to do something a little extra for each other every once in awhile. 

lordkanarven
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Sound like someone listens to to much Frank Sinatra ( wife's should always be lovers too)

One of the most sexist songs I know check it out if you feel like being pissed.

Join me in the Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
Clairwil
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting LittleWeloosMom:

The perfect wife .

I couldn't resist responding to this journal post. It basically says that being a lovely and quiet housekeeper is the best way to keep your man. Dear lord. The idea is that since the husband has such a hard day at work that he should be catered to so he wants to be with you. (Hey! Women are allowed in the workplace now, you know?)

Ridiculous. Go look. I mean - "Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift."

I am not trying to make fun of the mom who posted this, but I could not be further from the ideal of womanhood that this list suggests. And I am totally fine with that. 

Someone so needs to write and post a version of this for stay-at-home husbands whose wives go out to work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN