Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are you married, did you change your name, poll?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 2:55 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 621 Total Views

Poll

Question: so which fits your description?

Options:

single, never married, nor live with any other adult, and kept name

live with S/O, we both kept our own names

live with S/O, we both changed our names

live with S/O, one of us changed our names to match the other

married, and we both kept our own names

married and my dh changed his name to match mine

married, I changed my name to match my dh

married, we both changed our names

other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

I was wondering about all the different ways folks set up their families and their family names. here's a poll of all I can think of:
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imamom4sure
by Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 2:59 AM
when we were not going to legally marry, we both were going to change our names to a new matching name. But then we decided to legally marry, so we decided to keep our old names and invent new last names for our children. At first we were gonna have a new last name for each child. But we decided to give our first born a non-hyphenated combination of my dh name at the beginning and my last name as the last syllable. When we had more children, I thought to do the reverse, but in the end we decided to give each child the same last name.

I'm not saying my way is best, I just am curious, I did find it interesting that what my dh and I invented for our children was a typical practice in Spain.
3JuJu3
by Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I'm married and my last name includes my original name as well as my husband's last name, not hyphenated.  So if my last name was Smith and my husband's is Jones then my new name would be JuJu Smith Jones (I kind of wish that was my name, lol). 

PaxMommy
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM

married, we both changed our names

lostangel8
by Member on Jul. 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I am so glad you made this post!!!!!!!!!!

We live together and have no real plans to do an official wedding, but we're going on 7 years now.  I have no desire to change my name, but get in consist debates about that with people.  I never start it, but it seems to bother some people that I wouldn't change my name.

This will be a great insight for me to understand other people's situations and creative thoughts!

benandwes
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I'm married and changed my name to match his.  I'm not old fashioned or anything like that.  I tried to get him to take mine, but he's partial to his last name.  My name and his combined sounded lame, too, lol.  For me it has nothing to do with ownership or whatever, it's just about becoming part of the same family.  Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what our name was, I just want my family to be united under the same name, and it just happens to be his. 

edit:  not meaning to imply that if you don't take the same name you're not family or united.  What's in a name anyway...   ;-)

bighoneybliss
by New Member on Jul. 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM

We got married back in the day when one of us needed health care and there were no domestic-partner benefits.  Had that not been the case, I am not sure we would have bothered. 

No one changed their name, but we use a combo of our last names socially and have been toying with make the legal change to that for everyone.  Seems like a lot of hassle, though.  The kids have my last name, and his last name as their 2nd middle names.

feministmama
by Member on Jul. 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I hyphenate my last names. 

lilmaiyagirl
by on Jul. 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Married and I took his last name.

There is a difference between sitting under ones shoe and sitting elegantly at their feet.

Intrepid
by Member on Jul. 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM

Married and took his last name, though not until I was sure that he understood that taking his name in no way signifies "ownership" of me. I've met a lot of guys who seem to think this way. On the bright side, his last name is shorter than mine and I can finally fit my signature on those insanely short lines on credit card receipts.

LittleWeloosMom
by Member on Oct. 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Not married, but live together.

I was married when I was in my early 20s (now I'm 31) and the court left me with my ex's last name as well as my own maiden name, so I have two last names anyway. Well, at least until I pay to have that fixed.

I have no plans on marriage, and the main reason being that I am not treated as an equal in my relationship. But THAT is a whole other story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN