Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are you married, did you change your name, poll?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: so which fits your description?

Options:

single, never married, nor live with any other adult, and kept name

live with S/O, we both kept our own names

live with S/O, we both changed our names

live with S/O, one of us changed our names to match the other

married, and we both kept our own names

married and my dh changed his name to match mine

married, I changed my name to match my dh

married, we both changed our names

other, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

I was wondering about all the different ways folks set up their families and their family names. here's a poll of all I can think of:
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 2:55 AM
Replies (11-18):
Jonescatnj
by on Dec. 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I kept my last name when I got married. Seems kind of strange that I'm so attached to it since it's
Jones but I couldn't imagine not having it as my last name. I got married at 31 so I guess I was kinda set in my ways by then. My husband teases me all the time about it but we had a long talk before we got married and he was very understanding. Of course, it helps that he has a lot of independent women in his extended family and many of them kept their last names when they got married.

I am finding it difficult at times with the kids. It seems to confuse the teachers, doctors, etc. that I have a different last name than the children do. Is anyone else having this problem?

Carolyn (jonescatnj) SAHM to Joshua & Allison

Group owner of Moms with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/FibromyalgiaCMscouthealthyliving1a-vi.png picture by Cafe_Ang

mamakrysoftwo
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:21 AM

The name thing was kind of a big deal.  I changed it but thn changed it back to my maiden cause i felt it gave him some control over me.  I thn hyphenated our sons name.  A month ago I took his surname and made my maiden my middle name.  I am happy with this now.  He really wanted it and I had to do when I felt completely right with changing it. 

m218Ava
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I changed mine to match his. My last name was so common and I didn't feel like it fit me. If I had liked my last name then I'd have kept it and I'd have given it alone to my daughter, but that's not the case. I also didn't like my first name, felt like it has Never fit me, so I legally changed that too to something that I felt was more fitting.

greattatertot
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I did the same. My daughters have his last name.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

I'm married and my last name includes my original name as well as my husband's last name, not hyphenated.  So if my last name was Smith and my husband's is Jones then my new name would be JuJu Smith Jones (I kind of wish that was my name, lol). 

Imamom4sure
by Member on Jul. 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM

its so interesting to hear all the ways folks do names while becoming co-habitators!

Bookwormy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM

My ex-husband & I both hyphenated.  It was a drag when we divorced & had to both change our names again.

My illegal wife & I have kept our own names, though she considers changing hers now that our child has my last name.

Sam

Imamom4sure
by Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Quoting Bookwormy:

My ex-husband & I both hyphenated.  It was a drag when we divorced & had to both change our names again.

My illegal wife & I have kept our own names, though she considers changing hers now that our child has my last name.

Sam

that is a lot of name changing btw I love how you call her your illegal wife lol
fostermamas
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Married a woman, took her name.  ;)

We wanted a family name for our kids.  She had already changed her last name to her mother's maiden name, in honor of her grandfather who she loved and took care of when he was dying, so she wasn't about to change it again.  My parents gave me hell when I came out, and my father hasn't been the most likeable guy in general, so I saw no reason to be tied to my original name.  And her name was way cooler anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)