Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(PIOG) I need help with hamster

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

Ok so I recently adopted some free hamsters. I am concerned that the reason they gave them away is that the female was pregnant. I am not sure how to tell for sure but would love some advice on what to do for an expectant mommy hamster.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
schmetterlingaj
by on May. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM

well most of the time...the female will try and nip if you touch her belly and she is prego...or even when you lay her down with her back towards the floor. It gets uncomfortable for them to lay on their backs too. 

If you have a male and a female, the best thing to do is to separate them. Hamsters multiply every month. So, if she wasnt prego when you got her she might be prego now. 

If you choose to keep them together, expect a lot of babies. Their litters are about 6 babies. It can be more...just depends on the hamster. Once the mommie is ready to deliver, you NEED to take the male out of her cage and allow her to be a mom. The male will get very jealous of the babies and will eat them if you dont take them out. Also, when they it is important not to touch or allow anyone to touch the babies for a few weeks after they are born. If the female smells any human scent on her babies she will kill them....most likely eat them.

If you have any more questions feel free to message me. Ive had lots of hamsters before and have had all these things happen to me.

hope it was helpful!

xoxo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)