Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kitten Question, Help

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 166 Total Views

I will be going on a trip for a week.  I have two kittens about 6 months old. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them, leave them at home or take them to a pet care place. 

Well, I went to visit the Pet Inn and it was very clean and the animals seem taken care of. However, the area they keep them in is extremely small.  It is like a cubby!  There is no room  to play and roam.  They are taken out only 15 minutes a day. My kittens are very playful and always running around the house and playing with toys. 

The other problem is that I have a friend that will come in and feed them and clean their litter box; however, I am very clean.  I clean out their litter box EVERY day, many times TWICE a day and vacuum around the box.  If I don't, it begins to smell and I hate the smell.  I am afraid that the care taker will not be as clean and will not clean th box daily and when I get home it is just going to stink up my house bad because there will not be any ventilation without the air conditioner on.

What would be the best thing to do?  Take them to the Pet Inn or leave them home? Help!

by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
robdester
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Its your decision to make, but you cannot leave them homne with out the air conditioner running.  So either leave air on, or take to pet center, sometimes vets will care for them while you on vacation too.

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on Jul. 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Typically, leaving your pet at home with a care taker, if that is an option is the best bet. Some animals get really stressed out in new environments and stress can cause emotional and GI distress especially in animals that are not well socialized.

When left at home, make sure the care taker has specific instructions as far as cleanliness of the area, appropriate feeding amounts, how many times to check on them/feed them, the vet's number and instructions for any problems that may arise, etc. If the care taker is a friend, they are likely to respect your wishes. You can also check with your vet to see if they know and recommend someone that can care for your kittens in the home.

Since your kittens are most likely pretty sociable and less likely to be stressed out by new places, boarding may be a good option for you. I'd recommend checking out different boarding facilities and see what sort of amenities they offer. What you describe is actually typical for cat boarding. Since most cats aren't very active, they don't need a whole lot of space. Because you have kittens, it is a bigger concern so you may want to look for a place that has a bigger play area and one they can spend more time in. Check with your vet too. I'd always recommend boarding with the vet over a separate boarding facility. That way, should anything happen, the doctor is right there. I'm not sure what sort of facilities, knowledge, and care is available at boarding only places if your kittens gets hurt playing or get a case of diarrhea while you are away.

I am a Pet Nutrition Counsultant with 11 years experience working in pet hospitals and 2 years working at dog shows as a nutrition consultant. Feel free to visit my page and ask me questions. I love to help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN