Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a fat dog?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

Is your dog fat? Have you tried to get your dog to lose weight? If so, how?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Briyawna
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My dog used to be fat but she's recently lost a lot of weight

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Quoting Briyawna:

Was it intentional weight loss? If so, how did you do it?
Briyawna
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Quoting Tuzyae:

Quoting Briyawna:

Was it intentional weight loss? If so, how did you do it?

Nope not intentional... she just doesn't eat her food as much anymore.. but she is also losing her fur in little patches on her shoulders (she has a vet appointment on Thursday for that).. but, she was 71 pounds and she is a pretty short black lab... so now she is probably at the weight she should be.. Just hoping she doesnt lose anymore.

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Quoting Briyawna:

I hope she's doing ok. What did the vet find?
Briyawna
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Well the vet has diagnosed her with hypothyroidism, diabetes, and cushings (and she could have more going on).. She said because she has the hypotyroidism & cushings it makes the diabetes far worse! So, it would be nearly impossible to regulate her blood sugar.. which was 550 when they checked it.. 100 is normal blood sugar level for dogs.. And, she has lost some more weight.. she's getting pretty skinny.. and having some balancing issues.. like early this morning she needed to go out to pee and she was going down the stairs and I guess got to going to fast and fell when she got to the bottom of the stairs..

So, we are going to be putting her to sleep. Wish we didn't have to but you can tell how miserable she is. We just don't know when we will do it, we still have to discuss all that with her vet!

Quoting Tuzyae:

Quoting Briyawna:

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Wow. That's a lot. I can't say I've known a dog experiencing all of that at once. Individually, treatments for those are pretty easy. Diabetes the the most difficult to regulate of the three on it's own. Since I'm not a vet, I don't know how they act together. I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hope you find peace. Good luck.

Quoting Briyawna:

Well the vet has diagnosed her with hypothyroidism, diabetes, and cushings (and she could have more going on).. She said because she has the hypotyroidism & cushings it makes the diabetes far worse! So, it would be nearly impossible to regulate her blood sugar.. which was 550 when they checked it.. 100 is normal blood sugar level for dogs.. And, she has lost some more weight.. she's getting pretty skinny.. and having some balancing issues.. like early this morning she needed to go out to pee and she was going down the stairs and I guess got to going to fast and fell when she got to the bottom of the stairs..

So, we are going to be putting her to sleep. Wish we didn't have to but you can tell how miserable she is. We just don't know when we will do it, we still have to discuss all that with her vet!

Quoting Tuzyae:

Quoting Briyawna:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Briyawna
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Ya we definately were not expecting her to have so much wrong with her! Its made us decide that we will now be a NO PET family.. I can't deal with the stress of getting another dog or other kind of pet and getting attatched and then something happening.. Our dog was with me everyday during my husband's deployment.. LOL, she followed me around EVERYWHERE the last month I was pregnant with my youngest!

Quoting Tuzyae:

Wow. That's a lot. I can't say I've known a dog experiencing all of that at once. Individually, treatments for those are pretty easy. Diabetes the the most difficult to regulate of the three on it's own. Since I'm not a vet, I don't know how they act together. I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hope you find peace. Good luck.

Quoting Briyawna:

Quoting Tuzyae:

Quoting Briyawna:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN