Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UTI disease?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 290 Total Views

has any one here ever had a cat with UTI disease? our cat may have it and he is always getting UTI and some time pees in the house not in the litter box he is sees a vet but i was wondering how do you deal with this?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Tuzyae
by Group Owner on May. 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

It all depends on if it is a simple infection vs. FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease). If it's just an infection, it can be treated with antibiotics. If it is a chronic problem, often they will prescribe a diet that will help maintain urinary tract health and prevent recurrent infections. It is very important to feed this recommended diet and not deviate from it with other foods or treats (check with the vet if you regularly give treats since sometimes there are treats available that complement the special diet). Your cat may still get infections (though to a lesser degree) from time to time which are then treated with antibiotics.

mlc22mommy
by New Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

he has been on meds for a while now and is still peeing everywhere we have to put him in a room downstairs so he doesn't pee while we are sleeping i dont know what to do i don't want to put him down.

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Does he go in the box some of the time? Some cats develop a bad association with the litterbox if they've dealt with issues for a long time before the issue is addressed. As in, if it was painful to pee, they associate the litterbox with pain so they demonstrate avoidance behaviors. Sometimes changing litter or the type of box you use may help the problem. Your solution of giving your cat his own room is a good idea. Also, if symptoms aren't improving, you may want to talk to your vet about going a different route like different medications, diets, or supplements.
mlc22mommy
by New Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I know he will go number two (poop) in the box because I don't find it anywhere in the house.  I But as peeing he will hold it and then sometimes pee right outside the box or on the floor in the kitchen or living room. He has also peed on our bed and couch and chair. That was a couple weeks ago he hasn't done that because every night i been putting him in the room down stairs and will let him out around noon the next day. But I maybe be starting a job soon and I not sure what I'm going to do with him after that I hate to lock him up it's not fair to him. I have been told that some cat who have had a traumatic experince with pain in the litter box may not use it. I am going out tomorrow to see about getting 2 defferent litter boxes and will give that a try.  thanks for any advice.

mlc22mommy
by New Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Quoting mlc22mommy:

I know he will go number two (poop) in the box because I don't find it anywhere in the house.  I But as peeing he will hold it and then sometimes pee right outside the box or on the floor in the kitchen or living room. He has also peed on our bed and couch and chair. That was a couple weeks ago he hasn't done that because every night i been putting him in the room down stairs and will let him out around noon the next day. But I maybe be starting a job soon and I not sure what I'm going to do with him after that I hate to lock him up it's not fair to him. I have been told that some cat who have had a traumatic experince with pain in the litter box may not use it. I am going out tomorrow to see about getting 2 defferent litter boxes and will give that a try.  thanks for any advice.

I forgot to say as of him still peeing i mean he hasn't peed upstairs but the room i been putting him in he has peed on the little kids chair, and my son trian track. and near the door.

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Yeah, I would get some boxes that look completely different from the one he has and use a completely different litter too. Cats have insanely good senses of smell and the smell of the familiar litter could cause the negative trigger as well.

If it makes you feel better, my cat gets kenneled when we are out of the house. He jumps on the counters if we aren't paying attention and that's the only way I can keep him off of them when we aren't at home. =)
mlc22mommy
by New Member on May. 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM

we have tried new boxes and i have watch him for a couple day now and have come to the conclusion he is just have trouble pee when he does try to go  in the box he has to work really hard at it plus i think it can be a little uncomfortble for him so we are now just locking him up with a litter pan food/water at night until noon the next day then will let him out it seems to be working. he can't stay out all day because he will get so full that he will pee where ever he is at.

Tuzyae
by Group Owner on May. 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Quoting mlc22mommy:

we have tried new boxes and i have watch him for a couple day now and have come to the conclusion he is just have trouble pee when he does try to go  in the box he has to work really hard at it plus i think it can be a little uncomfortble for him so we are now just locking him up with a litter pan food/water at night until noon the next day then will let him out it seems to be working. he can't stay out all day because he will get so full that he will pee where ever he is at.

If he's having trouble peeing, it's very important that you get him in to the vet to identify the problem. The issue could be pain and/or difficulty which a can be caused by any number of things including, but not limited to inflammation, urethral plugs, etc. He could just be in pain, but if there is a reason for the pain, it should be addressed. So should the pain itself. Good luck, and keep us updated on his condition.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)