Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Info about caring for Rabbits!!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2008 at 9:46 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 147 Total Views

First off there is a wide variety of rabbit breeds. A couple include: Angora, Dutch, Flemish Giant, Lops ( I ahd a mini lop and a french lop), Rex, Satin and many more.

Life span is about 5-10 years. A male is called a Buck, Female is a Doe and the young are called Kits. Something intersting about rabbits is they do not vomit.

Husbandry: Housing cqn be single, but better in pairs or groups (females with females). It can take a lot of time and work to bond rabbits if they don't already know each other. Rabbits tolerate colder temperature better than hotter temps. Rabbits loose heat through their ears. If housing indoors use a wire cage with a solid floor. Wood stove pellets can be used for litter or Aspen Shavings (NOT CEDAR or PINE). The house will also need to be rabbit proofed (cords, plants, etc...). If housing outside the hutch will need to be protected from extreme weather. The cage should be a wire mesh cage with a nest box. Avoid direct sunlight and prevent contact with wild rabbits. You will also need to control flies and mosquitos.

Nutrition: Rabbits diet should consist mostly of Timothy Hay, a handful or so of pellets and ocassional veggies and treats. Rabbits do not need salt licks.

Behavior: Rabbits are highly social. They use burrows for a house in the wild. When they are afraid they will flee or freeze. Rabbits CAN be litter box trained. They can also be destructive and males can be aggressive.

Handling: You can scruff and support the butt with your other hand without hurting the rabbit. There is also a hold called the football hold that we use in the clinic. Basically you hold the rabbit wioth their head facing towards you back like a football in your arms.

If you want to know anything else to do with diseases and reproduction feel free to ask and I will add it. But this is what I have on taking care of a rabbit. I would also recommend getting books and reading about them.

Briana,CVT
Come Join Question and Answers about Animals/Pets group

by on Aug. 7, 2008 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)