Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

about kittens....help

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 369 Total Views

Someone left three kittens in our alley by the trash. My dog, Speedy found them. He likes them...lol. Anyways, they are old enough to eat on their own. They were not afraid of humans at all. They came right to me. They look to be about 5 or 6 weeks old. They have been eating some stage 2 kitten formula and some kitten chow. One of them is pooping a little bit of diarrhea with some blood it looks like. Its like she cant poop alot out. I'm not sure what is wrong with her. I am pretty upset at the person who left them there! Poor things. She seems to be acting fine. Could she be constipated? Do I need to feed them something different? Help!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
fire_and_ice
by Group Admin on Aug. 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I did reply a while ago, but it somehow isn't up here. Sorry about that! I feel really bad.

It is so nice of you to take the kittens into your house. You are a special person to do this. I would probably take them in to make sure they are healthy either way. Kittens are more suseptible to illness since they are still building up their immunity to things. I hope all is well with them and I am sorry my comment didn't post ealier. Keep us updated!

love2bfree
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Thank you so much. I see that you are almost due!! How exciting! My sister just had her baby a few weeks ago...she is really cute. What are you having? Anyways, the kittens are doing just fine. We figured we were feeding them too often. We have let up on that..he he. They are really cute and cuddly. It will be hard to give them up. My three oldest girls have each adopted one. They are doing a good job in taking care of them. We are feeding them regular raw meat. They handle it better and seem more lively. I am hoping, if my husband will allow it, to call up the local shelter and see if they can work with us to spay them, seeing as how we are tight on income. I am hesitant to just give them away to just anybody. I dont want more kittens to end up in allies by a dumpster. That is just cruel.

I will post some pics of them soon (:

fire_and_ice
by Group Admin on Aug. 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM
I am happy to hear they are doing better! That is cool that your daughters are taking on the responsibility! I applaud you all for taking on three little kittens. I hope the shelter will be able to work with you guys on the spaying! Congrats to your sister I believe you said! I am due September 12 with a little boy. This will be my last time though. I enjoy being a mom, but 3 kids is plenty for me. I also have my career that I am working on every day. Can't wait to see the pics of the kittens. If I lived closer I would help you out and maybe take one off your hands. We just had our old girl put down a couple weeks ago and our other cat is a little lonely. Not sure if we are going to get another one yet though.
Tuzyae
by Group Owner on Apr. 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM
Quoting love2bfree:

Anyways, the kittens are doing just fine. We figured we were feeding them too often. We have let up on that..he he. They are really cute and cuddly. It will be hard to give them up. My three oldest girls have each adopted one. They are doing a good job in taking care of them. We are feeding them regular raw meat. They handle it better and seem more lively. I am hoping, if my husband will allow it, to call up the local shelter and see if they can work with us to spay them, seeing as how we are tight on income. I am hesitant to just give them away to just anybody. I dont want more kittens to end up in allies by a dumpster. That is just cruel.

I will post some pics of them soon (:

It is so great of you to take the kitties in! Luckily, shelters and rescue groups have good luck adopting out kittens. I'd recommend taking them to the vet to have them checked out. Not only for overall health, but also to make sure they are free of parasites which can create a risk for your kids and other pets. I'd also recommend feeding them something other than raw meat. On it's own, raw meat is far from balanced and could be starving them of some vital nutrients they need at this stage in development. Also, pathogens can be passed along to your kids that are handling and caring for them even if the kittens do not show any signs of problems. A canned kitten food would be the best bet for them.

I am a Pet Nutrition Counselor with 11 years experience working in pet hospitals and 2 years working at dog shows as a nutrition consultant. Feel free to visit my page and ask me questions. I love to help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)