Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone start indexing?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 305 Total Views

I got lost on Ancestry looking at the census images that I almost forgot about the Familysearch indexing.  I've done 10 batches of the Delaware Census, went back to get more and there wasn't anymore batches for Delaware, so that state is close to being complete (it has to go through arbitration, but still seems like the state was done quickly).  Moving on to Colorado.

by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynameismuerte
by Genealogist on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I only got 1 batch of Delaware done earlier this evening. Crazy that DE is already done but very cool, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Genealogist-GO on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM
I have been so busy today, and am about to call it a day. I tried to access early, but the system was overloaded at the time. By 9 am there was 37 million hits on archives. I have been posting updates as they come available on my Facebook. My blog posts are out of order right now, fixing that. All new genealogy info is on the last page of family historian link. I also got word that ancestry has 1 billion records for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I thought I had read somewhere that Ancestry was going to offer the 1940 census free for a year.  They are busy getting the images online and their "professional" team will do the indexing.  Right now they have American Samoa, Delaware, District of Columbia, Guam, Indiana, Maine, Nevada, Panama Canal Zone, and Virgin Islands on line for viewing.  They are working on getting California, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Virginia online.  I was able to find my MIL in the Pennsylvania census yesterday.

DawnPratt23
by Genealogist-GO on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I haven't seen anything about a year, but this is what I got yesterday as an affiliate. I read this as in addition to the Census these other records would be available for free. 

1940 Era Promotion:  1 Billion Records FREE!!!

1940 Census is Here!

Dear Dawn Pratt,

Finally!!!  After 10 years the 1940 Census is here.  To celebrate the release of the 1940 Census, by far the biggest event in Genealogy and Family History in 10 years, Ancestry.com is offering 1 Billion 1940 era records FREE through April 10th.  We'll have 139 separate databases FREE for this promotion including WWII military records, Birth Death and Marriage records, and the 1930 Census.
Quoting Raesreppilf:

I thought I had read somewhere that Ancestry was going to offer the 1940 census free for a year.  They are busy getting the images online and their "professional" team will do the indexing.  Right now they have American Samoa, Delaware, District of Columbia, Guam, Indiana, Maine, Nevada, Panama Canal Zone, and Virgin Islands on line for viewing.  They are working on getting California, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Virginia online.  I was able to find my MIL in the Pennsylvania census yesterday.

Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I guess the announcement was in a press release over the summer.  It took me awhile to find it.  (http://corporate.ancestry.com/press/press-releases/2011/08/1940-u.s.-census-to-be-free-on-ancestry.com/  )

1940 U.S. Census to be Free on Ancestry.com

PROVO, UTAH (August 17, 2011)- Ancestry.com, the world’s largest online family history resource, today announced that both the images and indexes to the 1940 U.S. Federal Census will be made free to search, browse, and explore in the United States when this important collection commences streaming onto the website in mid-April 2012.

When complete, more than 3.8 million original document images containing 130 million plus records will be available to search by more than 45 fields, including name, gender, race, street address, county and state. It will be Ancestry.com’s most comprehensively indexed set of historical records to date.          

Ancestry.com is committing to make the 1940 Census free from release through to the end of 2013, and by doing so hopes to help more people get started exploring their family history.  As this census will be the most recent to be made publicly available, it represents the best chance for those new to family history to make that all-important first discovery.

“The release of the 1940 U.S. Census will be an exciting event for any American interested in learning more about their family history,” said Ancestry.com CEO Tim Sullivan. “By making this hugely important collection free to the public for an extended period, we hope to inspire a whole new generation of Americans to start researching their family history.” 

“Ancestry.com is working to make the 1940 Census a truly unique interactive search experience...as well as the starting point to help new users easily get started on the world’s leading online family history resource.  After finding that first family connection in the 1940 Census, we believe new users will be able to make amazing discoveries by searching our 7 billion digitized historical records, exploring the 26 million family trees created on Ancestry, and collaborating with our nearly 1.7 million subscribing members. We think that 2012 is going to be a great year of discovery for all family historians.

ENDS

Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Anyone still indexing or has the novelty worn off?  I've done 70 batches so far with a 98% average accuracy rating.

DawnPratt23
by Genealogist-GO on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM
That's great!! I get to tonight. Got taxes done and reports filed for my son autism. Yay. This weekend I had an extra 500 new people ask me questions on indexing. Fan page has exploded. :) so I think its still active, people are so busy and haven't popped up for a breathe yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I guess they are planning on giving away an Ipad this week.  They will take the top 10% of the indexers for the week and randomly draw a name.  I don't think I will be anywhere near the top 10% so I'm glad I already have an Ipad, lol.

DawnPratt23
by Genealogist-GO on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM
I think you have a great chance, you've donea great job.

Quoting Raesreppilf:

I guess they are planning on giving away an Ipad this week.  They will take the top 10% of the indexers for the week and randomly draw a name.  I don't think I will be anywhere near the top 10% so I'm glad I already have an Ipad, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You may be right.  I think I over estimated how much people were indexing.  I read on a forum that the average person indexed 108 names last week.  The top 10% indexed 1100 names or more.  My goal for this week is to reach 5000 names.  I had around 1500 names last week and I am at 3840 right now.

I don't care about the contest.  I just enjoy indexing.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I think you have a great chance, you've donea great job.

Quoting Raesreppilf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)