Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Visiting LDS Family History Centers & State Archives

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 285 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Can anyone tell me if they have visited either (or both) of these types of centers and what kind of information you can access there that you can't online?  Also, any advice on what to do before you go and what to bring to gather your info?  Thanks.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Genealogist-GO on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM
I only attended the conference last year, but didn't get a chance to visit the library. :(

Are you going to them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyPondOasis
by Genealogist on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM

I am not sure what access that they have would be different than what you can find on Ancestry.com and the other sites that are free online, but perhaps they are able to do a more in-depth search?

I have yet to visit the LDS center here in my town but have been wanting to go.

Have you called them to ask?

Maybe they have the documentation for the millions of people from online, access to the Census's ect.

Good Luck if you go to one. Hope they can assist you in your search.

Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I can't help.  I haven't been out of the house to do genealogy since the kids were born (10 yrs ago).  I have been to the library in Fort Wayne, Indiana several times, many years ago, but it seems the information I was able to get there is now found online.

.3xBlessed.
by Genealogist on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
The state archives here in pa has tons of info and databases that you can't find anywhere else! A truly invaluable resource.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyPondOasis
by Genealogist on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Would you suggest that if some one's family is concentrated in one state, to try THAT states archives?

Would we have to travel there to get it?

My family is concentrated in Scott County,VA and a few other area's but I am in Florida. Guess I need to check this out as I know there are fees.

But with family names, how do I know I am not getting the copy of some one elses family and not mine without much info?

I would need to figure out a bunch of things first I guess.

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

The state archives here in pa has tons of info and databases that you can't find anywhere else! A truly invaluable resource.

Raesreppilf
by Genealogist- GA on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I think you would more likely find more info on your family if you went to the area in which they lived.  Years ago I took a trip to Winchester, Virginia and went to the Handley library to see if I could find any info on my Mom's great-grandfather who was born there.  About a month before we got there, some lady had just donated a box of genealogy from her family.  Old records, family bibles, original documents, family letters, and other stuff that you wouldn't find online.  The box of donated items was from the family of my Mom's great grandfather's 1st wife.  His marriage was mentioned in the family bible.

LilyPondOasis
by Genealogist on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I had a cousin go to Scott County years ago and another went to the family graves outside the land where there house was. The house is still there and people whom own the family land and house now,  allowed the cousins and family to go take photos of the family graves, which are online some where now. 

I'd love to go up there and check out the family graves, as there are 3-4 family members, My Great Great grandparents  just buried out in the back of their old house on the land. I find it sad that they are forgotten and not in a cemetery. 

Quoting Raesreppilf:

I think you would more likely find more info on your family if you went to the area in which they lived.  Years ago I took a trip to Winchester, Virginia and went to the Handley library to see if I could find any info on my Mom's great-grandfather who was born there.  About a month before we got there, some lady had just donated a box of genealogy from her family.  Old records, family bibles, original documents, family letters, and other stuff that you wouldn't find online.  The box of donated items was from the family of my Mom's great grandfather's 1st wife.  His marriage was mentioned in the family bible.

.3xBlessed.
by Genealogist on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM
That's great, but a very rare situation. I recommend local libraries over most other things every single time, but state archives are still really great.

Quoting Raesreppilf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I have never been (yet) but I know that local (county/parish and state) archives have different records like marriage/death certificates, wills, land records, baptism records, etc. The people their may also have an in depth knowledge of the families in that area. I've done tons of research online becuase I'm about 2,000 miles away from my home state.  

.3xBlessed.
by Genealogist on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I don't know how it works in Virginia, but here, the state archives holds tons of records that the counties or cities didn't have room for our want anymore.

For example, in our local library, there are microfilm of the main local newspapers, and a small local history room with very few resources and books.

Our local genealogy society is fully staffed, and has donated materials and books published on local families. There are microfilm from smaller and German newspapers, pastoral, church, and cemetery records, photos, local vital records, etc. Invaluable resource there, for sure.

Our local courthouse has vital records that were kept before they were required by the state, marriage records, and probate records.

Large cities have city archives, which include directories and government papers.

The state archives has all of the above, plus records at a state level (military records, census records, etc.) It also has coroner records, orphan home and prison records, asylum records, vital records from the earliest state requirement up to the 60s. Everything more recent than that, you have to get certified from somewhere else.

All of these repositories have been great sources for me, and I recommend getting to as many of them as you possibly can.

I recommend trying to find an RAOGK volunteer to see if they'll go for you, since you can't go yourself.

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

Would you suggest that if some one's family is concentrated in one state, to try THAT states archives?

Would we have to travel there to get it?

My family is concentrated in Scott County,VA and a few other area's but I am in Florida. Guess I need to check this out as I know there are fees.

But with family names, how do I know I am not getting the copy of some one elses family and not mine without much info?

I would need to figure out a bunch of things first I guess.

Quoting .3xBlessed.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)