Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What have you learned from doing family research?

What have you learned that has stuck with you by researcing your family history? 

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-12):
VanBurren
by Genealogist on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The one thing that stands out is the way my father's family came here to the U.S. ...... our ancestor was just 16 and was kidnapped off the docks in Wales (along with his cousin) and both were sold as indentured servants in Virginia.  He "did his time" and eventually married the daughter of the man he was indentured to. 

Another wonderful piece of information is that my father always thought his name was spelled "Otis" until he went to apply for a job in the 40's.  He needed his birth certificate, and when he finally got it, he saw that his name was actually spelled "Odeth".  My theory.....my grandmother was illiterate, and so when she told whoever it was that her son's name was "Otis", the person wrote it as "Odeth".  Now, I've never heard that my grandmother had a speech impediment, but for the name to be supposedly said as "Otis" and it gets written as "Odeth".......hmmmmm.......thought it was veryyyyy interesting:)  (By the way, my dad has his name legally changed to the spelling of Otis as soon as he could.) 

VanBurren
by Genealogist on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I personally love going letters and photos more than anything.

I, too, think the letters and photos are one of the best parts of my research.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN