Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

orthodox wedding crowns and rings

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 697 Total Views

I am getting married in May 2009, and I have been trying to find a website that sells orthodox wedding crowns. I've found a few, but the prices are enough to make one freak out. It's not like it's your wedding ring, and you wear it for the rest of your life! $200 seems like an awful lot of money to spend on something you wear for five minutes. Does anyone know of a website that sells them for less? Or...for you more creative types...does anyone know how to make them? I thought that some of them looked like they could possibly be easy to make, but I'm not sure how much of a knack I have for craft stuff.

Also, how many of you ladies wear your wedding ring on your right hand? I just found out that was an orthodox tradition...I never knew!! I think it's a really interesting tradition, and Mike (my fiance) and I are going to wear ours that way. Is it because we make the sign of the cross with our right hands??

Thanks for the help....

Bethany

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
azmom1982
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM

http://www.orthodoxweddings.com/32.html

That site has some decent prices.  DH and I sometimes wear our rings on our right hand.  Due to the size of the ring a majority of the time we wear it on our left.  I think one day we'll end up getting them adjusted so we can wear them on our right.  Good luck and God Bless.

baby
Syra3.14159
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4337/boards/read/3906042/Wedding_Rings

There's a post where we discussed wedding rings once before.

My husband and I didn't get married in the Orthodox church so we didn't have crowns.  Are anyone else in your family Orthodox?  It seems the kind of thing that gets passed around in families.  Good luck!

Lauren486
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:49 AM

In my church, we don't buy or make our own crowns. Our church owns these beautiful (and very heavy) jeweled crowns that we use in every wedding unless somebody chooses to use their own. You could always check with other people in your church or other Orthodox people you know and see if either they have crowns you could use or if any of them make crowns. Personally, my husband and I wear our rings on our left hands, but we do occasionally switch them to the right. Good luck!!!

inkedmomma84
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Quoting Lauren486:

In my church, we don't buy or make our own crowns. Our church owns these beautiful (and very heavy) jeweled crowns that we use in every wedding unless somebody chooses to use their own. You could always check with other people in your church or other Orthodox people you know and see if either they have crowns you could use or if any of them make crowns. Personally, my husband and I wear our rings on our left hands, but we do occasionally switch them to the right. Good luck!!!

That's a really good idea! I will ask our parish priest about it....thanks!!!

momofzachjassop
by Member on Dec. 20, 2008 at 1:34 AM

So did our church.

Quoting Lauren486:

madamonet
by Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I made wedding crowns for a couple once.  Just flower wreaths with a ribbon connecting them.  It's nice when they're light and you can take them home, because then the tradition is you hang them over your bed, and when you die, you're buried with yours.  But when dh and I got married, the church we were attending had their own set.  And yes, we both wear our rings on our right hands.

KamiLynn
by Group Owner on Dec. 24, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Traditionally, the Kumbara/Kumbaro supplies the crowns for the couple :) However, I will ask my Godsister where she got hers. I know she balked at the prices too!

As far as the wedding rings worn on the right hand, it's more of an ethnic tradition as opposed to as religious one. I will try and find the older post where we discussed this a while back. It was really interesting, and I can't think of the reason why we wear our rings on our right hand...

rettmom5
by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM

We are converts also. Our Koumbaro and Khoumbara did not provide the crowns, and neither did our small parish. So I studied them closely online and made them myself.

They really do vary from a simple silver circlet, plain but still beautiful, to more ornate. With everything in between!  Its far cheaper to hit up Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or A.C Moore and make them yourself. You can add stones or pearls or whatever things are important to you. There are metal bands, or there are different gauge wires you can braid for more strength. I wrapped a softer puffed material around my wire and then decorated with various ribbon, strands of seed peals and various whatnots. I think I found rules for making them online if I am not mistaken, like how they have to be attached to one another and various traditions.  I have them mounted in a memory frame on my bedroom wall.

inkedmomma84
by Member on Dec. 29, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Quoting rettmom5:

We are converts also. Our Koumbaro and Khoumbara did not provide the crowns, and neither did our small parish. So I studied them closely online and made them myself.

They really do vary from a simple silver circlet, plain but still beautiful, to more ornate. With everything in between!  Its far cheaper to hit up Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or A.C Moore and make them yourself. You can add stones or pearls or whatever things are important to you. There are metal bands, or there are different gauge wires you can braid for more strength. I wrapped a softer puffed material around my wire and then decorated with various ribbon, strands of seed peals and various whatnots. I think I found rules for making them online if I am not mistaken, like how they have to be attached to one another and various traditions.  I have them mounted in a memory frame on my bedroom wall.

Do you know what kind of puffy material it was? I am so lost when I go in a fabric store...I found some wire today when I went to go look, and then I started looking at the ribbon.....siiiighhh....I got overwhelmed almost immediately. Did you use glue or did you sew your decorations on?

angelique-o
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:59 PM

you can make your own crowns like someone suggested.  you can make them as ornate or as simple as you want.  you can find an inexpensive base to use in michales in their wedding dept.  they are simple white silk flower head pieces.  and go from there.  i would recommend using tacky glue or a hot glue gun.  good luck.  as for the rings, my husband and I when i was married, changed the rings to our left hands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)