Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a recent horse sale I attended...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

The weekend before last I went to a local horse sale - preview.  I opted not to go to the actual sale as we just have too much going on at home from trying to get a lot of work done to having house guests.

Anyway, this is the type of stuff I do with my camera.  I am not really much for portraits, although I really do want to learn to do pics for people :)  

I am a huge horse racing buff, and these horses are all 1 year old thoroughbreds bred for the racetrack.  This isn't a big/expensive sale, but there were nearly 500 horses in the catalog, and  many I photographed sold for $100,000 or more which in this economy is pretty fair.    The 'big' sale comes in September, and it looks like I may have a job lined up for it!   Otherwise I do it for fun, for practice, and if I get pics of the future stars, well I make $$ selling prints ;)

Here's a link to my album on flickr if anyone wants to see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24553848@N03/sets/72157621624125191/detail/

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MommaTurbo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Cool pics! I love the "i'm a crazy thoroughbred freak out" pics! It's so typical! Lol! Not everyone can take good pics of horses. Good job!

HoosierShadow
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Cool pics! I love the "i'm a crazy thoroughbred freak out" pics! It's so typical! Lol! Not everyone can take good pics of horses. Good job!

Thanks!  Yeah some of the yearlings got a little wild.  Most of them just didn't want to go back into the barn.  The sales are hard on them they are pulled out and put back in their stalls all day long upon request from potential buyers.  From about 8am to 5pm, so they get fed up pretty easy.  

The next BIG sale is the September yearling sale - biggest in the world.  They usually get a catalog of over 5,000 yearlings, the first book - first two days of the sale are select yearlings so that's when most of the 'excitement' for bidding comes - when you see the million dollar yearlings. 

I should be working the first book or two of the September sale if all things fall into place, so I am excited!  But it will be hard work.  With this sale I didn't fuss so much about how they stood the horses, because it wasn't a paid job <though I do sell prints to those who request them>, so in Sept every yearling would have to stand correctly, just like this:

The legs have to be exactly like that, some horses will stand like that - since they train them all summer long for this pose, BUT, usually someone has to come over and help place their legs correctly.     And if I do this job I will have to photograph around 150-200 horses in about 4 days time...  A challenge I welcome <depending on weather!>.  

MommaTurbo
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I would just absolutely LOVE to land a job like that! I'm not huge into the thoroughbreds though, i'd want it to be some kind of quarter horse production sale or something! lol!

HoosierShadow
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Quoting MommaTurbo:

I would just absolutely LOVE to land a job like that! I'm not huge into the thoroughbreds though, i'd want it to be some kind of quarter horse production sale or something! lol!

LOL! Well I do understand. The fun thing about the thoroughbreds is wondering who will be the next big star on the track ;)   Not all the horses are 'loony' they just get tired of being dragged out and back into their stalls all day long - the sales are hard on them.

I live very near Lexington, KY --- horse capitol of the world, and there are sales at our local racetrack <Keeneland> in Jan, April, Sept and Nov.  There is a sales place on the north side of town that sells in July, Oct, and Nov.  The Sept and Nov sales at Keeneland are by far the most popular in the world.   It's always neat to see who shows up, and who gets the highest bid. 

I used to work on a breeding farm years ago, so I always look for babies of mares I took care of, or now, babies of the babies I took care of :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)