Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son Tyler

Posted by on May. 4, 2008 at 2:53 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 254 Total Views
Hi Everyone

I am a little overwhelmed, trying to find a group I fit in. This caught my eye, but not sure if I should join, since I don't have a diagnosis. Tyler is 4 yrs/5 months old, in special ed pre-school the last year, with all kids that have autistic like characteristics. He is speech delayed, no sentences, hardly any words any more. I am in California, BTW... he is lovable, charming, sweet sweet little boy.  He understands most things, especially when he wants something, and I bribe him. I thought cuz he is a boy, he was slow, not talking, and when he was 2 1/2, my brother suicided, so the year after, I was lucky to have fed him, and just met his needs, shirley missing important signs.....but, I am moving on, knowing it does no good to beat myself up, I did the best I could . He started speech at that time, the first psychologist thought it was behavioral, then at the preschool, he wasn't progressing like other kids, and the next psychiologist saw autistic characteristics. THe preschool he is in, they love him, he really responds to the teachers. He is making progress. He babbles, he's very social, loves the young girls, hugs, kisses, very affectionate little boy, but still plays side by side, not with other kids, and he's very  impulsive , not knowing any better I think, and grabs things from others without thinking, mainly food. He is very tactile, touchy feely, and very oral, chews on paper alot. Going through REgional Center right now, to get him tested, since only way to get him services, and me and DH finally know we need help, and are not in denial anymore, thinking, he'll just catch up. Tyler is very very Hyperbusy little guy that does not stop, and I suspect ADHD, he doesn't listen, ignores, and we have to repeat his name alot, most times, to get his attention. My brothers suicide was a tragedy, this is a challenge as I see it. I went through fertility treatments for years to have this miracle baby, I am gonna do everything I can for him to be the best he can be. He does OT once a week right now, hoping that will help his focus. So that;s us in a nutshell.....

So, anyways, honestly, is this the right group for me? I was in the special needs group, and I was overwhelmed by so many different special needs. My gut is telling me he is on the spectrum, I wonder if he will ever have speech. He doesn't have the expressive speech, will he ever? Don't know, but I am gonna do everything in my power to help my little boy.

Thanks if you read this far, I meant to do a quick intro, just to see if this group is a ft for this tired, a little anxious mama.  I'm also an older mama, 42 yrs young!  My DH is 50, so we are older parents. Not sure what that has to do with anything, exept the fact that we are always tired ! Thanks again!

-Peace
Theresa
by on May. 4, 2008 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)