Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED HELP POTTY TRAINING MY 7yr AUTISTIC SON

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 337 Total Views
Hello ladies, my name is Rita and I'm the proud mamma of 6 kids!! I have 2 sons that have autism. My 7yr old has severe autism and we have tried a lot of different techniques.My 6yr old is trying to use the potty and use words!! I should also mention my 7 yr old son is non-verbal. We have talked their doctor, and she has told to try different things, like running water, music , or anything he likes. There are times when I get SO frustrated, because I'm always cleaning the walls or floors in his room!! Their dad wants me to look into other living arrangements.( group home, etc) I told that him that will NEVER be a option for me to do!! So ladies, PLEASE send me some insight!!
by on Jun. 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tallybarry
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Does your son communicate using pecs or a communication board? If so, you might try using this to help-show him the picture when you use the toilet then show him the same pec pic when you are changing him, this could help him make the connection-he needs an effective way to communicate his needs-i would also make it a goal on his IEP at school. Talk to his therapist-does he get speech or OT.  has he had any success using the toilet-have you used a reward system? these are some things that i have tried. hope that helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)