Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bulghur wheat

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

I have 4 lbs of bulgur wheat that someone gave me.  Anyone have any ideas on what to make with it (besides Tabbouli)?

Thanks!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
proud2bmom3
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM

assalamu alaikum sister,

I cook it like rice. it is whole wheat, delicious and very healthy.  (especially if you are on no sugar, or atkins diet)

in order for it not to be too bland. you can saute finely chopped onions, bell peppers and some tomato pieces, then wash the Bulgar and let get soft for about twenty minutes then cook with the veggies as you would rice.  good spices to use: cinnamon, cardamom, or cumin ( you can add corn or peas) really good side dish with chicken or turkey

you can also stuff grape leaves with it instead of rice and meat. ( you cook it with nuts, chick peas, onions, garlic..etc) then stuff the grape leaves and cook

you can also cook it, mix it with nuts or veggies and stuff chicken with it.

you can also grind it and make Kibbe with it,

so many things.. lol. hope it helps.

Sahteen

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

EmmAlesh
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Those were great ideas!  I didn't know it had so many uses!  I have only used it for taboule and kibbe!  Sounds like you sort of use it as a couscous type dish with your first suggestion. 

Emm Ali

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Ive actually added them in soups and you can use it instead of rice for mahshi!!  I tried it with grape leaves here and it works great.  Dh didnt even realize it wasnt rice.  Just use all the same ingredients and spices and VIOLA :)  Im sure it would work with koosa (squash/zucchini) but here they are too big to try to stuff (lol-1 of them would feed our whole family).

practicingislam
by Group Admin on Nov. 14, 2009 at 9:10 PM

wa'alaykum asalam habibti i usually make Kibbe w/it  , otherwise its very expensive 2 buy outside like usually  dollar or more a piece

ummu_moussa
by Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Wow!  Thank you, sisters, for all your replies.   That's exactly what I needed!

I'm not sure what kibbe is, so I just googled it.  embarrassed miniIt looks delicious, and also looks like a lot of work.

Thanks again!!

practicingislam
by Group Admin on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:41 PM

asalamu alaikum sis yeah it is a lil tedious BUT ITS WELL WORTH IT its considered like a h'ourderve, if u try to buy it in the halal markets its over a dollar a piece very very expensive, its actually easy to make but a lil time consuming.......u'd love it

Quoting ummu_moussa:

Wow!  Thank you, sisters, for all your replies.   That's exactly what I needed!

I'm not sure what kibbe is, so I just googled it.  embarrassed miniIt looks delicious, and also looks like a lot of work.

Thanks again!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)