Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Instead of using sweet cheese for qatayif

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 566 Total Views

I started using shredded mozzarella. I soak the shredded mozzarella in some cold water and replace the water every 5 minutes for about 15-30 minutes. (depending on how much cheese  i have) This takes the salt out but does not make the cheese sweet. When you dip the qatayif in the qatar (sugar water mix) it gives enough sweetness. Plus side to using mozzarella: Its way cheaper and way easier to get in stores. (I think healthier too)

Another tip: I broil my qatayif in the broiler for like 3-5 minutes and flip them for like a minute. (I first coat the pan with oil and rub some oil on the pieces as well) Much healthier than frying.

This is my 1st post on this board and I hope some of you ladies find this useful inshAllah. ;)

Ramadan mubarak

by on Aug. 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ummrami
by Member on Aug. 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Thanks for sharing . I'll try this when I attempt to make them again next week . LOL . I wanted the sweet sauce but DH just wanted them stuffed with nuts and cinnamon like they do in Egypt . I liked them but it just wasn't the same . And I absolutely agree baking them is much healthier and they have a better taste as they're not soaked in the grease and end up tasting like grease .

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Nov. 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Also if you use fresh mozzarella you dont have to do the soaking because it is soaked in water.  I know in the states my mom used to use mozzarella in her kanafa back in the day when it was hard to find the sweet cheese.  Ricotta and mozzarella.  I found the mozzarella here is only sold fresh (meaning its packed in water) and has almost no salt.  Try that one next time!!

UmmTalal
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I use qashta which here in Saudi we buy easily but I also have the recipe for people to make it at home. Al Akawi cheese is also usually used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)