Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pomegranate Molasses

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 437 Total Views

I just bought a bottle to duplicate a recipe I saw on Food Network, which was to use as a glaze for lamb kabobs.  Anyone know what else I can do with pomegranate molasses?

Thank you and salam!

by on Oct. 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EmmAlesh
by Member on Oct. 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Did you get that from Aarti on Next Food Network Star??  LOL  I am interested to see the answers you get as I have often thought of picking up some.

RebeccaJill
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:49 PM

If only my Arabic grocer was there tonight, she is in France, I would have asked her because I had picked up a bottle a few months ago (still haven't gotten around to using it, lol) and she was telling me all about how it is used.  DH isn't home yet but I will ask him, too.  I do remember the grocer explaining how sometimes it is used just for a little color.  :-)

ummu_moussa
by Member on Oct. 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Quoting EmmAlesh:

Did you get that from Aarti on Next Food Network Star??  LOL  I am interested to see the answers you get as I have often thought of picking up some.

Assalamu alaikum...

Yup, I sure did!  LOL! I haven't made the dish yet because I have to get other ingredients.  I thought in the meantime I should gather other recipes that call for pomegranate molasses.

ummu_moussa
by Member on Oct. 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM

By the way, I've been doing some additional research and I found the recipe below at one of my favorite websites, Allrecipes.com.  The description says that it is "an exotic Lebanese dip."  It's called Muhamarra and it sounds yummy!!

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 4 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions

1. In the container of a food processor or blender, combine the olive oil, bread crumbs, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin and red pepper flakes. Process until smooth. Serve with pita triangles.
practicingislam
by Group Admin on Oct. 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

asalamu alaikum sis this sounds good mash'Allah

muslimahpj
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

sounds very good.

ummu_moussa
by Member on Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I also found this recipe from Aarti's blog using that Muhammara dip as a sauce for pasta:

Muhammara Pasta

- 2 cups dry whole wheat rotini pasta
- 6 roasted red peppers
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice of half a juicy lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 zucchinis, sliced in half, then sliced into 1/2″ half moons

1) Get a big pot o’ water boiling. Make sure you salt it once it’s at a roiling boil

2) Dump pasta in the water. Set your timer for about 2 minutes less than the instructions. In my case, about 8 minutes

3) In a food processor, grind red peppers, walnuts, spices, lemon juice, molasses, salt and pepper until mostly smooth. Taste and season.

4) Add zucchini and garlic cloves to the boiling pasta. Cook another 2 minutes until zucchini and pasta are cooked.

5) Drain. Add garlic cloves to the red pepper mixture and whiz up again until as smooth as you like it.

6) Toss pasta, zucchini and sauce. Sprinkle some chopped parsley over the top. Taste, season and serve!

muslimahpj
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM

That sounds really good too. You are making me hungry. lol

UmmTalal
by on Aug. 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I use it a lot in Lebanese food like for koftas, liver, lamb, chickens. I have it all on my website.

http://www.yasalamcooking.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)