Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tunisian chorba??

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 2421 Total Views
1 mom liked this

please i need a recipe. i perfer the one with fish, thanks:)

....what does lonely look like?....

by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
AnnaMuslimah
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Tunisian Chorba (recipe I learned over and over by watching both my mother in law and father in law cooking as I spent over year there!!!)

You will need:

3 TBSNTomato paste

Water

4-5 cloves fresh garlic (to be minced or smashed into a paste)

1 TBSN Tunisian Harissa (most med-markets sell it)

Finely chopped parsley (small bunch)

Finely chopped SMALL onion

Chicken/Fish/Beef/Lamb (whatever you like - shred meat and discard bones just before serving)

Pasta (I like to use orzo, but any type of pasta/macaroni traditionally used in soups is fine)

OLIVE OIL! salt, pepper to taste!

Now, cover the bottom of the pot (dutch over) with oil, when sizzling, add finely diced small onion, saute for a little, add 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, incorporate the oils mixture as smooth as possible without burning the paste ***Note this is the start of any Tunisian meal that makes a red sauce*** at this point if you were using chicken or meat, I would add it and soak it up, if you are using fish, hold off...as fish cooks ever so quickly!! :) 

Now once we've got everything going, fill up the pot a little more than half way with boiling water and a generous amount of harissa!

My in-laws claim this won't slow down the process...whether or not it makes a difference in the finished product is debatable...I just prefer to go with what they say as the are the professionals in Tunisian cuisine !! 

So, you are bringing this now soup to a boil, if you are using meat or chicken, just let it cook away until its literally falling of the bones...the bones also add great flavor which you will be discarding later on...

We move on, now once the soup has been boiling (note: add water as needed to keep from thickening too much), you may now add your pasta of choice. You can also use split barley which can also be found in arabic markets...I would also add my chopped parsley at this moment too....I would chop a small bunch of parsley finely!

Now if you are going with fish, I would add just a few minutes before the pasta/barley is ready...Again use the type of barley that is almost ground, pearled barley will take TOO long and in fact that is an entirely different recipe!!! I digress, the last steps is to add you minced garlic...if you have a mortar, make a garlic paste and add just minutes before you turn off you pot...along with freshly ground pepper and salt. ***I thought it was odd to add the freshly made garlic paste at the end, but I will tell you the soup is not the same if you try to add it too early!!

Serve with a lemon wedge to squeeze over your hot bowl of chorba (it's great with any type of chorba you decide to make)

Now this is a very basic chorba recipe, one I enjoyed almost every day during Ramadan and oddly enough never got tired of! It is a delightful, slightly spicy soup that is a great staple for any dinner table.

Note: if you cannot find Tunisian harissa, I suppose you could just use a little cayenne pepper and to add that flavor found in most Tunisian harissas, a pinch of ground corriander and caraway. :)

Enjoy! I apologize it give such a wordy response...but I hope it helps! I will try to add a few pics later on, Inshallah when I make it soon! Hey Ramadan is coming!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)