Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my Kunafa recipe w/pic

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2008 at 1:21 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 5157 Total Views

for the syrup:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup water
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs orange blossom water or rose water
cheese filling:
1 pound mozzarella
1/2 pound ricotta
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs orange blossom water or rose water
(blend all this together in a processor)
pastry:
1 pound of defrosted kataifi
2 sticks of unsalted butter
pistachios to garnish
Make your syrup first. Add ingredients and stir on low heat until syrup is thick! Allow to cool then place in fridge.
Place your kataifi in a large bowl with your butter, mix and untangle the strings. You will use a 11-12 inch pie pan. Place half of the pastry in the bottom of the pan. Then add cheese filling, pressing down with hand, add remaining of pastry strings. Bake in a 325 f over for 45 mins.
After pastry has baked I always place the pan on the stove eye for a few seconds to make my top brown and not pale. With a butter knife go around kunafa, place plate on top and flip. Now you decorate with your nuts. I grind mine in a processor. You can get creative now. I add the sugar syrup before and after. But I sit most of it on the table and let people decide how much they want.
by on Mar. 17, 2008 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maisah
by Group Owner on Mar. 17, 2008 at 1:51 AM
So urs is thick too.... ok I am not worried... i see you don use the color?... I am planning to do it again next week... ur recipee is there I will not put mine.. I will just take step by step Pics and post insh'Allah

Don't go through life, Grow through life...

http://r.yuwie.com/maisah

Group owner: Treat Him Like the King He Is Arab Cuisine

Group Admin: Black Mommies Married To Arab Men Revert Muslim Moms    Islamic Book Club Sunni Muslim Moms Quoting Together

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

x7anooonah
by on Mar. 17, 2008 at 2:02 AM

No I do not even know what that color is actually, lol. Yes, use a pie pan its perfect and the thickness does not burn it. Using glass will also so that may been another factor in it. You will get it perfect I am sure, its easy and my recipes I make easy to follow.

x7anooonah
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 2:58 AM
bump, saw people having trouble with theirs.

Cafe Muslimah- a community for Muslimah's

Ya Salam Cooking-Need some new recipes?

Also, check out my  two groups here on CafeMom:

QueenAdeela
by on Jan. 8, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Good Bump!  Thx!

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Jan. 9, 2009 at 7:06 AM

My family has always made it much thinner and of course had to have the color added.  I guess it depends on the area or preference of the people.

-Salam*Peace-

AzIzAzIzA

*If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything*

(Click to Join The Right To Be Human In Palestine

x7anooonah
by on Jan. 9, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Yea, I think you may be right bc I had never heard of the color before but I know maisah said she did that as well and I think her dh is from filistine as well. So it must be the way in that area :). This version is the Lebanese style. I would love to know your recipe :).

Cafe Muslimah- a community for Muslimah's

Ya Salam Cooking-Need some new recipes?

Also, check out my  two groups here on CafeMom:

maisah
by Group Owner on Jan. 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I will be making this again insh'Allah soon with the pie pan and not Glass... mine did get a lil dark and was some what hard.... also I will be doing Baklavaat the same time/day... will post if it looks ok....insh'Allah

valtoppen
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM

MashaAllah!!! your recipe inspired me to try and make this sweet.Hubby loved it, thank you for sharing :))

UmmTalal
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM

this was my old screen name :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN