Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YALANJI-

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1013 Total Views

okay-the other day i made YALANJI (pronounced- yo - lan - ge)

Let me go ahead and say first, i apologize for the fuzzy pictures-it was taken from my cell phone.

its a version of stuffed grape leaves that is all vegetarian and better served cold or room temperature. I believe it has more syrian roots, although many pther countries make this dish as well.  Its not as well known as regular grape leaves.  its a great dish to have when you have company and finger foods are on the menu.  My family loves it because it is lemony and yummy (at least for us)

THINGS YOU NEED

Grape leaves (depending on your brand, i have to soak mine in hot water because they are still tough and very salty)

pre-washed rice (i use calrose-its perfect for mahshi-stuffing)

Onions (chopped finely)

tomatoes (chopped finely)

parsely (again finely chopped)

garbonzo beans (skinned and chopped in smaller pieces-i do half and each half in quarters)

olive oil

lemon

tumeric (it doesn't have much taste-but its very healthy for you-not everyone adds this-i do for health benefits)

sumac

salt

pepper

garlic powder

one or two potatoes-washed, skinned, thickly sliced and set aside

MINT (if fresh-chop like the parsely, if dried-rub between hands to make it semi fine)

NEXT:  MIX

in a bowl, combine rice-tomatoes, garbonzo beans, parsely, onions, mint. 

Next add your olive oil (add a 2-3 teaspoons first-to check for consistency-can add a bit more later), juice from your lemon, about 1 teaspoon of sumac, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and about 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric (this is strong-you dont need much and it will turn things yellow). 

i know the rice is raw, but i always taste mine at this stage...to check for flavor..if it needs more salt, lemon juice.  You want it moist-not super wet, but definatly not very dry!!

if you have the time to make this ahead of time, great-pop it in the fridge for a few hours to really let the flavors merge together.  if not, no biggie!!

NEXT: ROLL

same as you would for regular grape leaves....try to make these guys smaller...so if you have to cut some leaves (if they are too large) go for it....

NEXT: placing them in the pot...

at the bottom of the pot, place left over grape leaves that were broken or you couldn't use.  Since this dish has no meat, its easier for it to burn. 

On top of the grape leaves...add a few slices of your lemon.  The one that you took the juice out of.  If they have any meat left inside (meaning inside of lemon) this adds more lemon to the dish.

On top of the lemons, layer with the sliced potatoes.  these are not for eating (even though i do) they are more for keeping them grapes leaves from burning.  On top of them place your grape leaves.  My mother always did each row opposite of the other....Meaning one layer heading north and south, the next layer east and west.

(my daughter tried rolling some-not bad for her first time....)

NEXT:  The Sauce

no pictures for this one...but my rule has always been, whatever you put in the rice mix....you put in the sauce.  So in a bowl, add water - enough to cover the leaves, add to it salt-pepper-garlic powder-sumac-lemon juice (i sometimes use citric acid if i am running low on lemons) a little olive oil-(since you have some in the rice-you dont want it too oily) and a small pinch of tumeric (like a 1/4 teaspoon).  Mix and take a taste. Truth be told-if the mix is too salty-it will be too salty-if not enough, probably should add a little more) 

i think this is why i put on weight when i cook-because i have to test everything!!!

My tip-place a small plate on top of the grape leaves, one that fits inside the pot-this way when you pour the sauce on top, the grape leaves dont move around.  Put a little pressure on top-try to get some air out.

Cook-never on high-this will burn.  Once the pot begins to boil-and the water starts receding, lower and continue to cook.  You can remove the plate once the water level drops. 

NEXT:  SERVING

Test one-check to see if done.  Once done-try to flip the pot on a serving tray-smack the bottom a few times, so anything that might have been stuck loosens.  remove the pot and remove extra leaves-the sliced lemon and potatoes-or leave them for decoration if you like.

ENJOY!!

-Salam-

AzIzAzIzA

*If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything*

by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Oct. 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM

By the way....if you ever have left over filling and dont know what to do with it.  My mother used to do the wierdest thing with it, but it always came out great.  She would get 2 paper towels-stacked on top of each other.  Place the rice in the center-thinly, fold over the sides-like a large square.  Place on top of the layers of grape leaves-place the dish on top-and pour the sauce over it all.  The rice cooks and it kept in that neat little package.

When your grape leaves are done-you can open the little packet and there you have a little rice packet-same flavor as the filling!!

maisah
by Group Owner on Oct. 31, 2008 at 5:07 PM

ok... now I will have to do this... I have a whole bottle of grape leaves that my DH brought back from his visit... and they have just been sitting there... now I have something to do...

TY beaty queens

a_ramli05
by Group Admin on Oct. 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Same here I have a whole bottle of grape leaves sitting in my cabinet and I have them hidden all the way in the back of the pantry on the bottom shelf....every day I say inshaa Allah Bassam won't see it...and at the end of the day I say Alhamdulillah he didn't see it....He loves stuffed grape leaves and had his sister tell him how her and their mother make them (They are from Syria) so that he could tell me .....well the way his mother makes them takes for ever....I swear they are as tiny as the first section of your pinky finger I am not kidding you if they are larger than that he doesn't like to eat them.....I have only made them a few times but it is extremely time consuming.....inshaa Allah one day when I am tired of hidding the bottle of grape leaves I will get to cooking some for him as a surprise........

Quoting maisah:

ok... now I will have to do this... I have a whole bottle of grape leaves that my DH brought back from his visit... and they have just been sitting there... now I have something to do...

TY beaty queens

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Oct. 31, 2008 at 7:38 PM

I know mu husband complains tha mine are too large, but to be honest the largest i have ever made was slightly smaller than a pinky.  He wants them smaller.  My answer, you try making them smaller with the kids running, the house a mess, and them taking forever!!!  My grandma (allah yerhamha) used to make them tiny, but she would sit at the table-with HER SHOWS on and just make them.  We did everything else, cleaning, kids, everything.  All I'm gonna say is - GOOD LUCK!! 

a_ramli05
by Group Admin on Oct. 31, 2008 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Now you see why I hide the grape leaves waaaayyy in the back of the pantry.....LOL LOL LOL

Quoting AzIzAzIzA:

I know mu husband complains tha mine are too large, but to be honest the largest i have ever made was slightly smaller than a pinky.  He wants them smaller.  My answer, you try making them smaller with the kids running, the house a mess, and them taking forever!!!  My grandma (allah yerhamha) used to make them tiny, but she would sit at the table-with HER SHOWS on and just make them.  We did everything else, cleaning, kids, everything.  All I'm gonna say is - GOOD LUCK!! 

maisah
by Group Owner on Oct. 31, 2008 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they all say that something is tooo big... I think that even if we were to get them to the size as the first digit of the pinky finger they would say they aretooo big...

All and my dh loves my Melfoof, but he says they should be smaller, and they are small...lol, lol no one else says anything though... and you know... I am thinking the ones in the can are not small at all to me they are the size of the index finger...lol, lol

QueenAdeela
by on Nov. 1, 2008 at 6:02 PM

YUM YUM!

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Its funny-i want to make this tonight---and had to go through all of these old posts to pull up my recipe---its been awhile and i lost my lil book o' recipes!!  Thank goodness for Cafemom-LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)