Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stuffed Grape Leaves - Warak Dawali/Warak Enab

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 7618 Total Views

Okay, seriously-IM SORRY!!! dont be mad that Im posting this....sorry, I know you dont want any mention of this dish (lol), but I made it last night, and I am just hoping that those who are looking for the dish arent using the Yalaji recipe instead. 

And I know everyone makes theirs different--so I hope everyone adds what they put. I made mine with Tomato Sauce-

Here Goes (please dont ask for measurements-I can barely measure simple dishes-let alone this one) 

THINGS YOU NEED:

GRAPE LEAVES (some use fresh-they you parboil-most of us average folks use canned)

Ground Beef or Lamb or Half Beef/Half Lamb (depending of your preference) You dont have to use ground-that is if you have the patience to cut the meat in the teeeny weeeny pieces-which my mother used to do until she discovered she could use ground instead. Also if you use all lamb, remember lamb is fattier and the dish will be a little greasier.  Some like 50/50 mix of lamb and beef...again your preference.  I have never used ground chicken or turkey-i suppose you could use them....them it would be far less authentic. 

RICE:  I usually prefer calrose (the chinese sticky rice) for stuffing things-but Parboiled works well-like Uncle Bens, personally I have never used Bismati or other kinds.

Tomato Paste

Water

Salt

White Pepper or Black pepper

7 spice

Garlic Powder

Parsely (chopped to add in the rice mix and some extra to place on top when serving)

Tomatoes (fresh):  I like to clean the insides out-to use with the sauce and then stuff them and cook with the grape leaves)

Meat: this is for the bottom of the pot-the best i have found is the breast of the lamb....it has bones-its fatty, and it adds a TON of flavor.  If not, try to use something with bones and something that has SOME fat on it...less fat makes it more susceptible to burn.

STEP ONE: Preparing

First get everything ready-so its easy to access.  Rinse your rice a few times, depending on the rice you use.  Add to it the Ground Beef (whatever meat you choose) chopped Parsely, and spices.  Mix well add set aside.  **Hint-if the rice mix is a little dry-my mother used to add 1-2 teaspoons of Samneh (ghee), we make our own, again thats just something we do**

When this is complete-prepare the grape leaves.  Remove them from the jar (assuming we are all using the cans).  Make sure to rinse them a few times...because they are in a brine solution.  Go through your leaves...remove excess stems, check to see if they are all decently soft.  If some feel more rough to the touch-place in a container and pour some hot water over-allow it to sit, rinse and repeat.  Some leaves are not as done as the others, this process keeps them from being too chewy after you cook them. 

Also, place the meat that you are using at the bottom of the pot....My motto, whatever spices you put in the mix-you put on the meat and you use in the sauce. 

STEP TWO: ROLLING

lay out the leave flat....the shiney side should be facing out-and the dull side is where you place the stuffing....here are the pics to follow:

**HINT...if the leaves are too big-you can cut in half, along the vine (lengthwise) and then be a little creative on how to roll them and still keep the same design.

thats the rolling process.  In the pot-make sure to layer one row in one direction and the next row in the opposite direction. This way when you are cooking them-they will stay in place.  Stuff the tomatoes that I mentioned, you dont have to-thats just something I did because I like the fresh tomato bits in the sauce and I alwys have extra stuffing.

STEP THREE:  THE SAUCE

Mix your can of tomato paste with between 4-6 cans of water.  I use the averge size can, i think its 8 ounces....and use it to measure the water.  Add the spices (same as in the mix and on the lamb) and the inside of the tomatoes that you previously cored.  Mix together....and taste-add more of whatever, if its lacking. 

STEP FOUR:  COOKING PROCESS

Pour the sauce (carefully) over the grape leaves. 

Our trick is placing a dish over the grape leaves to keep them from floating around.  Also use something heavy to press down.  My mother used a special rock we painted for her-but in the pic I just used a jar to show you..  I actually put a pot on top filled with water to weigh it down.  Not too much-but again to keep them from floating and possibly unrolling.

Cook them for about an hour, at least---allow to boil, make sure you dont loose all your sauce...it needs to have some.  I put mine on around 3:15 and they were done by 5pm, but I have a testy stove. Test every once in awhile, see how they taste-and check to see if done.

STEP SIX:  SERVE

Once done.  Keep the dish on top, and slowly drain the sauce into a serving bowl.  We like to have some on the side.  Usually we do this more when we make the koosa mahshi with it, but also with the grape leaves.  Remove the plate and flip the pot into a serving dish.  You can sprinkle with chopped parsely for decoration (if you like).  AND INSHALLAH ENJOY >>>

*sorry so dark...camera acting up*

-Salam-

AzIzAzIzA

*If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything*

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maisah
by Group Owner on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I am going to get you too...... I am just giving up.

Alhumdulila!    

I feel bad... I am just going to pull them grape leaves out and show dh this post and ask him if this is how he likes it and if not do my modifications and  then make these hop-scotch grape leaves.....

TY Aziza great post and lov the pics.... very good mash'Allah

looks very tasty also

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM

im sorryseriously.  Just dont show them the post.  I was just surprised that mine came out well enough for me to post.  My daughter always asks me why i keep taking pictures of my food but never post them.  Its because if it DONT LOOK GOOD-MAMA AINT SHARING.  Actually I was surprised these came out pretty small, no tips of the pinky-but some were close.  The whole pack of leaves came small, so i couldnt make them too big if i tried.

How do you normally make yours?  The only other way we make them is either with the Lemony Sauce or Tomatoey Sauce....but hubby likes the tomato, so-you know the rest!!  And I usually combine my koosa mahshi in the same pot...BUT HEHE-I STILL DONT HAVE THE CORER!!  Havent found one yet.  Moroccans dont typically use it, so I have to wait til my mama sends me one!!

THX AGAIN

a_ramli05
by Group Admin on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM

angryKeep it up.....LOL

Just joking but seriously it's going to take alot more than a few YUMMY posts to get me to break open the jar of leaves....my recipe is very very simple only because my husband likes them the way his mom and sister make them so I just learned it the simple Syrian way.....ground beef, rice (I also use the calrose I believe it's best) safron, lemon, salt, pepper, lemon juice,but I do layer my pan with potatoes and cloves of garlic and olive oil....Don't worry I'll get them on here soon.....as for the pinky size thing .....I'd rather give birth to 5 more children than put myself thru that on a regular basis....I don't know how these women can sit there and roll them that small all day....lol lol lol

yours look yummy dear

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:01 AM

See thats the other way we make it, with lemon, and olive oil...but i have never had it layered with cloves of garlic...that sounds so yummy. 

eating

And I agree...its going to be a long while before I reveal the other package of grape leaves that I have now hidden in the closet.  I only have two munsters, for now,....and it took forever!!!

a_ramli05
by Group Admin on Dec. 16, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Quoting AzIzAzIzA:

See thats the other way we make it, with lemon, and olive oil...but i have never had it layered with cloves of garlic...that sounds so yummy. 

eating

And I agree...its going to be a long while before I reveal the other package of grape leaves that I have now hidden in the closet.  I only have two munsters, for now,....and it took forever!!!

well it's not actually layered with cloves of garlic I only put a few cloves of garlic between the grape leaves before the plate weight goes ontop of it...so sorry if I made it seem like there was a whole layer of garlic cloves its only a few cloves dear......

maisah
by Group Owner on Dec. 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I make mine as you minus the tomatoe scauce, I have twice made mine with Kusa and the tomotoe base... I have also made mine with ox tails... But dh like me to do mine the way Ameera does hers minus the cloves.... I add mint to my filling and a lil parcley, my dh do not like it to oily or lemony like the can ones.... but you can taste the hint of lemon in it... not like Melfoof

Insh'Allah maybe you understand.. and mine be small if I have small leaves and big if I have big leaves... you have to add the plate, put on simmer low temp and rock for they wil be bouncing around in the pot and unreveling... and that will make a woman go made after you did  all of that rolling....

AzIzAzIzA
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Quoting a_ramli05:

Quoting AzIzAzIzA:

eating

well it's not actually layered with cloves of garlic I only put a few cloves of garlic between the grape leaves before the plate weight goes ontop of it...so sorry if I made it seem like there was a whole layer of garlic cloves its only a few cloves dear......

No, i understood what you meant.  As tempting as that sounds (right now I am craving the wierdest things) I knew you didnt mean a whole layer of garlic.  Lol.  I do the garlic thing with the Malfoof (the cabbage). 

maisah
by Group Owner on Dec. 28, 2008 at 8:50 PM

I am making this now... insh'Allah will post pics... hopefully camera is being nice and will up-load.....

practicingislam
by Group Admin on Dec. 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM

ooooooooh i hate grape leaves but my hubby loves them this looks so easy insh'Allah i just may try this recipe when i feel better whoot whoot whoot whoot thanks so much

way to go way to go

Arabic Letters & Numbers(Owner)           Muslim Converts (Admin)                     

Islamic Book Club (Administrator)                     Treat Him Like the King he Is (Admin)

Arab Cuisine (Adminstrator                          Servants of Allah (Admin)                     

Muslim Moms (Group Member)                  SADAQA ~Sisters Helping Sisters Boutique(Admin)

mroschmann
by Member on Dec. 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM

OMG that looks so good.............great job on the pictures ................now I have a recipe that I can use when my fiancee comes back home :)  Thanks !!!

I do have one question - how much meat mixture would u say you put in the grape leaf?  is one teaspoon too much or does it depend on the size of the grape leaf?

Thanks again for sharing... they look awesome..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)