Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello everyone!

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 1031 Total Views

Hello Everyone,

For those that don't know me  yet, my name is Sarah and I am the proud owner of this preemie group.  I have had two preemies (one was a 28 weeker girl and the other was a 23 weeker boy) so I have lots of preemie experience.  You name it, I have probably seen it, experienced it or heard about it.  In my spare time, I am a writer and am currently working on a book about premature babies.....it's a lot of work but it's truly a labor of love.  I am also working on some articles about premature babies that I plan to submit to magazines.  I am very passionate about premature babies and raising awareness.  I have been researching preemies for years now so I am pretty educated if anyone has questions.  Though I have worked in the medical field, I am not a doctor and any advice on here is by no means a diagnosis.

I started this preemie group because I remember when I gave birth to my 9 year old daughter Tianna who was a 28 weeker. I was not experienced or educated about preterm infants.  I felt very alone and like no one could truly understand what I was going through.  It used to drive me crazy when people (probably well meaning) would say that they understood what I was going through when they never had a preemie.  I want a place where moms can come and share support and ask questions without feeling silly.  I always say that no question is a dumb question....it's when a parent just sits there and never asks questions as I sometimes did with my first preemie.  My second preemie was a different story....I was very, very proactive.  I knew what they were doing, the meds they gave and why, the tests, etc....  If I didn't know, I either asked or researched it until I did know.

I believe very strongly that preemie moms are specially chosen because not everyone could handle the difficult NICU rollarcoaster.  My life is pretty much an open book so please don't ever feel like you can't ask me something or like you are bothering me because that is why I created this group. 

I am very proud of this group and how supportive the moms have been with each other.  I am opening a preemie chat this Saturday Nov. 1st @ 3 pm central standard time.  If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.  As always, everyone is welcome to chat and I encourage moms to take some time for themselves.  I look forward to getting to know you. 
Sarah

by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
djsmama904
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Sarah and hello all.  My name is Leslie and my son DJ was born June 27, 2008 at 30 weeks.  He was released from the NICU on October 30, 2008 and all I can say is thank God the roller coaster ride from Hell is over.  He had pneumonia three times, various infections, was on and off the ventilator three times, had an NG tube until a few days before he was discharged, etc.... I am so thrilled to have him home but it has been very scary constantly praying that nothing will go wrong.  I am trying not to be overprotective but not succeeding very well.  All things considered he is doing really well.  We will be having his development tested in a few weeks so that is my latest thing to fixate on.  I guess my other fear is that even though I was at the NICU with him every single day that we still didn't get to bond like we should have.  I couldn't do kangaroo care with him that much because he was on the ventilator so much and he never got to breastfeed much either for the same reason.  I love him so much but am so afraid of doing something wrong that I am afraid he is picking up on my anxiety.  Anyway, I'd appreciate any "post NICU" advice.

passion4preemie
by Group Owner on Nov. 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Congrats on the homecoming of DJ.  This is a very exciting, scarey and memorable time.  The first advice I recommend is taking deep breaths in often.  I was a little sad to hear that you weren't able to kangaroo him much because of the vent and personally I feel that often times staff is being lazy and using that as an excuse.  My 23 weeker was vented for around 3 1/2 months and I was able to kangaroo him often if I wanted to and he was doing well.  I think Kangaroo care is as beneficial to babies as it is to parents.  As you said, you had a more difficult time bonding with your son and that is absolutely not uncommon.  Of course you love your baby but it's hard when you can't just pick him up when he cries or just change his pj's or diaper if he soils them. It is difficult to have to ask for permission to hold your own child.  It makes it less real for parents sometimes.  I have a feeling that the bonding will come easier in the next few weeks as you are around your son 100% of the time with no one interferring or telling you can or can't do this. 

We are a very supportive group around here and moms here are very good about being supportive and giving advice if they can help.  If you ever have any questions specifically or just need to talk, please let us know and we will do our best to help you.  Again...congrats on the NICU discharge!!!

Sarah    

Quoting djsmama904:

Hi Sarah and hello all.  My name is Leslie and my son DJ was born June 27, 2008 at 30 weeks.  He was released from the NICU on October 30, 2008 and all I can say is thank God the roller coaster ride from Hell is over.  He had pneumonia three times, various infections, was on and off the ventilator three times, had an NG tube until a few days before he was discharged, etc.... I am so thrilled to have him home but it has been very scary constantly praying that nothing will go wrong.  I am trying not to be overprotective but not succeeding very well.  All things considered he is doing really well.  We will be having his development tested in a few weeks so that is my latest thing to fixate on.  I guess my other fear is that even though I was at the NICU with him every single day that we still didn't get to bond like we should have.  I couldn't do kangaroo care with him that much because he was on the ventilator so much and he never got to breastfeed much either for the same reason.  I love him so much but am so afraid of doing something wrong that I am afraid he is picking up on my anxiety.  Anyway, I'd appreciate any "post NICU" advice.

2boys1mom
by on Dec. 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

HI Sarah!

My name is Kristy Boyce and I currently have a 25 W 4 day preemie in the NICU.  We have been there currently 49 days as of today.  Her name is Grace Hope.  She was born weighing 1 Lb 11 ounces.  I have two other children, ages 8 and 6, but this is my first preemie experience.  Both my boys were full term.  As of today Grace is 2 Lb 15 ounces and the day before thanksgiving came off of her CPAP.  She is curently doing very well and so far has not had any complications.  I am so glad that when I did some searching that there were some groups for Preemie moms on here!!!!  This has been a very scary and also very educational eyeopening experience for me and my family. 

passion4preemie
by Group Owner on Dec. 2, 2008 at 2:33 AM

awe....congrats on your lil preemie.  They are such miracles.......That's great that she is off CPAP now....huge step for her.  Hopefully she will be home before ya know it.  : )  You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Quoting 2boys1mom:

HI Sarah!

My name is Kristy Boyce and I currently have a 25 W 4 day preemie in the NICU.  We have been there currently 49 days as of today.  Her name is Grace Hope.  She was born weighing 1 Lb 11 ounces.  I have two other children, ages 8 and 6, but this is my first preemie experience.  Both my boys were full term.  As of today Grace is 2 Lb 15 ounces and the day before thanksgiving came off of her CPAP.  She is curently doing very well and so far has not had any complications.  I am so glad that when I did some searching that there were some groups for Preemie moms on here!!!!  This has been a very scary and also very educational eyeopening experience for me and my family. 

jennagale76
by Member on Dec. 13, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Hi Sarah, I'm so glad to see you back! I hope everything is getting better!

Jen

passion4preemie
by Group Owner on Dec. 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM

thanks... the same ole garbage continues to happen, but I am determined not to allow my ex to steal any more of my life :)

Quoting jennagale76:

Hi Sarah, I'm so glad to see you back! I hope everything is getting better!

Jen

mrsdgasser0822
by on Mar. 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Hi everyone. I had my daughter Emma @ 34 weeks & she was 4lbs 10 oz & 17 inches long.  she is perfectly heatlhy but it was scary she is my first baby she is doing great.

Chelhaidax
by New Member on May. 29, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Hi i am new to this group,my name is chelsy i am 22 & have 2 beautiful kids a 2yr DD Haidyn & a 1mth DS Dax..In my case they were both born premature..My OB told once u have a preemie baby be prepared for ur nx one to be premature well he was right! For my DD i had her at 29wks the night of hurricane Gustave she was due 11/15/08 & was born 09/02/08 12:27pm weighing 3 Ibs 1oz 16 1/4 inch long,that was the hardest thing ever i had to go through as a single mom at the time..She had lung trouble,heart mermer,& yellow johnnies.I knew when the hospital would discharge the moms & their babies so i wouldnt be there bc i couldnt bare the fact that i couldnt take mine home,i know sounds a little selfish but i was hurting & alone with the whole thing..The happiest moment was when she got to come home 10/18/08,now she is the happiest little girl & who can light up the room with her smile! Now for my DS was also hard from the moment i knew i was pregnant for him i knew i was going to have problems & i was right i found out in oct 2010 i was expecting,My husband & i were so thrilled..In feb 2011 i had to get on bed-rest bc my cervix was thinning that scared the u know wt out of me.So i stayed relaxed,on april 21 i noticed i was leaking water so i went in to the hospital & sure enough it was my water bag i was 2cm dilated since march..I had my handsome DS 04/22/11 12:41am weighing 5Ibs10oz 19 inch long he came home 05/03/11 he had yellow johnnies,pneumonia,& had to be on a Cpap....Now i have 2 healthy babies!!

ACSsMommy
by New Member on Nov. 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Hey everyone, my name is Chrystal and I am 24 years old. I had my first baby on 8/29/2010. He was 5 weeks early and was not suppose to arrive in the world until 10/2/2010. The pregnancy went perfect but he just didnt want to wait any longer and came the day of his baby shower. He was born at 5 pounds 4 ozs and was 18 inches long. He was able to stay with us for a whole hour before they took him away to the special care nursery. His breathing was off and his temperature was dropping. They ran tests on both him and myself to try to figure out why he came early but there was nothing. We spent 16 days in the hospital. It was the worst 16 days of my life. I was not aloud to touch him for 2 days and following that he was put on the c pap and then the jondice lights, and i had to watch him go through a number of x-rays. After about 5 days I finally got my chance to hold him. I was AMAZING. I got to be close to my bright eyed baby boy. He then spent the remainder of his time learning to eat and going through lots of blood tests and poking and prodding, but when he got home he was welcomed by his daddy and his two puppies that still have his back today. Now I get to spend my days running around after my quick little man as he runs through the house. I cant begin to put into words the joy he has brought to our family!

Christmaslver68
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone

I am a stay at home mom currently of 2 boys a 9 year old and a 4 year old.  I enjoy horseback riding, swimming, fishing, gardening, nature walks, cross-stitching, reading to and with my boys, playing games, reading my bible everyday, and making new friends.  My favorite color is yellow and my favorite seasons are Fall and Spring.  My favorite holidays are Christmas, Easter, St Patricks Day, Halloween, and Valentines Day. 

I enjoy cooking and baking but am far from a gourmat cook; I enjoy learning new recipes and using old recipes that have been passed down in the family through the years.  I am the youngest of 6 children.  I have been married for 13 years and we have had our ups and downs but try to work through them as much as possible.  If there is anything more you'd like to know feel free to ask.  Have a great day everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)