Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy 2 a brand new preemie......

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello ladies...

I am SO glad that I discovered this group!  On Feb. 1st I had my daughter Kaylee Lynn.  She was 5lbs. 1oz.  I was 34 weeks.  Kaylee is still in the NICU & I have been at home since Feb.3rd.  I know that you ladies understand what I am going through!  I just want my baby girl home!  I live 45 minutes from the hospital, which makes it nearly impossible for me to be there with her more than once a day.  I have 2 other children who also need me at home, since I was at the hospital on bedrest for almost 3 weeks.  UGH! 

I just wanted to ask if you ladies could share some photos with me of your little ones in the NICU.....  And, some updates!  It always comforts me when a mother tells me about her tiny preemie & shows me a picture of how healthy they are now!  It definitely helps to keep hope in my heart! 

Here is a photo of my little one.....

by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
robe739
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM

OMGOODNESS!  He is so cute!  What a handsome man he will grow to be!  :)

Quoting Sammysmommy0713:

Samuel Lee 4lb5oz at 35wks.  He is now two and a half.  (PS Your little girl is beautiful)

robe739
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM

She's so tiny & adorable!  Thanks for sharing!  :)

Quoting Sammysmommy0713:

Sophia Grace 5lb 8oz born at 35.4wks, she is now almost 11months old, she is a peanut but very healthy.  She weighs 14lb 9oz

Linkolnsmommy
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Linkoln David was born June 27,2008 at 30 weeks gestation. He weighed 2lbs 4 oz and was 14 inches long. He is now 7 months old , and is over 14lbs and a little over 25inches long!! He spent 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU and it seems like a far away memory. Hard to believe or picture him as small as he was when he was born, now that he is a little chunk. He is the light of my life. I hope your little girl is doing well, and will be home with you soon!!

Linkoln at 3 days old. So small next to daddy's hands...

Linkoln 7 months old with our boxer Felix

And my little man playing in his bouncy seat.

robe739
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM

Those are PRICELESS photos!  Thank you for sharing your story!  Very inspiring!  :)

Quoting Linkolnsmommy:

Linkoln David was born June 27,2008 at 30 weeks gestation. He weighed 2lbs 4 oz and was 14 inches long. He is now 7 months old , and is over 14lbs and a little over 25inches long!! He spent 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU and it seems like a far away memory. Hard to believe or picture him as small as he was when he was born, now that he is a little chunk. He is the light of my life. I hope your little girl is doing well, and will be home with you soon!!

Linkoln at 3 days old. So small next to daddy's hands...

Linkoln 7 months old with our boxer Felix

And my little man playing in his bouncy seat.

pyratmom
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I love before and after NICu pictures.

and here is my miracle now... 5 years old.

Aside from asthma, (BPD) he is a healthy, normal, active, and intelligent little boy!!!

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl.!!! I lived 45 minutes from my NICU too. we spent 3 months driving back and forth daily. It is so hard to leave your LO every night. I pray she comes home soon!!!

congratulationsbaby girl

nep.giff0b98160.gif

oooomelissaoooo
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Makynzi Danielle was born at 32 weeks. 3lbs 10oz 16 1/2 in long. she spent 5  1/2 weeks in the hospital.  shes now almost 7 months old & weighs over 14lbs and around 24in long. we didnt have any major battles during our NICU stay. just learning to eat. (which of course left me leaving the hospital in tears 90% of the time)  the only problem we're having now is her head is growing to fast. she may have hyrociphalus (sp?) we go Monday to find out if she needs a shunt.

Tarawaters
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:23 PM

This is my baby J.J. he was born at 30 weeks weighing 3lbs 14 oz. He was in the NICU for 30 days roughly. We had a great experience with our hospital. They let me room in for free. So I never had to leave the hospital. They called me and woke me up for every feeding even his tube feedings. They encouraged me to hold him why he was being tubed fed. They said that way he got use to my touch. I started feeding him straight bottles at 32 weeks. I would just walk in the NICU and take him out of the crib myself I never even asked he was my baby. I was a pain at times I never let my opinion go unheard. If I din't like a nurse I would make sure she didn't take care of my baby. I only had problems with one nurse. They moves him to peds after 2 aand a half weeks witch we got to do all cares. Unfortunatly J.J. went back to NICU because his temp dropped. I had children at home also and it was hard to juggle everything. i was ver lucky that so many people stepped up to help us. i remeber the disappointments and crying when he reached milestones. J.J. has a grade 4 brain bleed so every milestone is a huge step. J.J. is 5 months old now and doing great we still visit our NICU once every month or so. We formed relationship that will last a life time. Hang in there momma she will be home soon. When you don't think something is right in the NICU talk to the supervisor trust me it will get you farther. insist you are there and your going to hold your baby. Do skin on skin with her it really helps them. Talk to the docs and get there okay to hold her when ever you want and have them make sure she is getting bottle fed when you are there. They know that is a bonding time, and if you ever need to talk PM me.

J.J. was 2 days old                  Below he was two and a half weeks and on peds floor.

He is now 5 months old and weighs 10lbs.

gummylump
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM

This is my son the first time I got to hold him in NICU, born at 32 wks.

This is my daughter the day after she was born at 32 wks

Looking through the NICU pictures made me remember some incredible things. I remembered how excited we were and how we cried when we first got to hold them. I remember how we had to learn to feed them from a bottle. I remember how I cried the first time I saw them in clothing! I remember how warm their little hands were when that was the only thing we'd get to touch through the isolette. My GOD, I am so thankful that they are both 100% healthy now at 18 months.

Here they are below at 12 months...active! I can't even get a still shot of them anymore!:

Sincerely,
Linda R
Mom of Twins
President http://www.gummylump.com/

asiamommi
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Quoting robe739:

Question....?  - How often did they let you hold your little ones when you visited the NICU?  It seems to me like some of the nurses are a little rude about that!  I asked one if I could hold her & she told me "not until her feeding" (which was 2 hours away) So, I waited & than she tube fed her & kept her in the incubator & when I asked to hold her after her tube feeding, the nurse said "No, cause she needs to go into a deep sleep in order to digest the food properly".  I was SO devestated!  I felt like the nurse just wanted to get her feeding out of the way & never considered MY feelings!  I'm all about doing what's best for Kaylee, even if it means not holding her, BUT in studies they prove that babies with MORE interaction with their moms recover faster.  So, WHO benefits from me not holding her at all?  Ya know?  Just curious if you had any problems like this with any of your nurses?!?!?  Thanks!!!  :)

That is a total crock of BS! Unless your baby is unstable, and your daughter sounds like she the exact opposite, you should hold her! if anyone hands this bologna to you again tell them you want to do Kangaroo Care

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healthy_living/Infant_Care/hic_Kangaroo_Care.aspx

If they give you any grief about it, ask to speak to a doctor. If they give you grief, speak to an attending about why  an American Academy of Pediatrics recommended therapy is not encouraged in their NICU

border.gif picture by mamasunshyne

pyratmom
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Quoting asiamommi:

Quoting robe739:

Question....?  - How often did they let you hold your little ones when you visited the NICU?  It seems to me like some of the nurses are a little rude about that!  I asked one if I could hold her & she told me "not until her feeding" (which was 2 hours away) So, I waited & than she tube fed her & kept her in the incubator & when I asked to hold her after her tube feeding, the nurse said "No, cause she needs to go into a deep sleep in order to digest the food properly".  I was SO devestated!  I felt like the nurse just wanted to get her feeding out of the way & never considered MY feelings!  I'm all about doing what's best for Kaylee, even if it means not holding her, BUT in studies they prove that babies with MORE interaction with their moms recover faster.  So, WHO benefits from me not holding her at all?  Ya know?  Just curious if you had any problems like this with any of your nurses?!?!?  Thanks!!!  :)

That is a total crock of BS! Unless your baby is unstable, and your daughter sounds like she the exact opposite, you should hold her! if anyone hands this bologna to you again tell them you want to do Kangaroo Care

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healthy_living/Infant_Care/hic_Kangaroo_Care.aspx

If they give you any grief about it, ask to speak to a doctor. If they give you grief, speak to an attending about why  an American Academy of Pediatrics recommended therapy is not encouraged in their NICU

clappingright on! I had a nurse that didn't let me hold my son either. if I knew then what I know now I would have demanded to hold my own baby more!!!.

nep.giff0b98160.gif

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN