Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Second Job Update

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 11:24 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 107 Total Views

The main challenge to this new job is that I do not speak Spanish. At least not a lot of it. So I will take an order and let the customers know what I think they said and hope I did hear right. Example they order a cheeseburger and fries. So I will repeat it and the customer looks at me and says "Yes". I'm very happy with this and proceed and they pay. Then they get their order and it is not what they want. Ugh! So I feel that I am being made to feel that I am in the wrong. So I am told to repeat the order. So I do for everyone. Sooooo everytime I repeat an order they look me in the eye and say "Yes". I will say it again and they look me in the eye and say "Yes".  So basically I can say, "that will be a cheeseburger with tampons and a milk shake"? And they will look at me and say "Yes". What really bothers me is that the faces are so friendly and I want to help them and I will pick up the Spanish but I need time.

Now on to the employees. Everyone is nice but there are few that can speak English. One girl who is helping me out and the managers can speak English but that is about it. I love working with the managers and one great group of girls. But there is one shift that I had a hard time with and it is because of the Spanish. I felt bad that I could not communicate with them and my friend told me not to feel bad about not knowing Spanish. So I won't.

But today I broke through and they were more nice to me. I think it does have to do with the fact that I do speak some Spanish and called them on the fact that I could tell they were talking about me in front of me. The manager was explaining why I worked the fryers and that I would be in the front eventually. They do not remember me speaking Spanish to them the last time I worked there. Why can't I work with that fun group? Oh well I am there for me not them.

by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)