Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Wisdom Teeth...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 315 Total Views

Okay, you all seem to all have a fairly good mind about medical circumstances so I'm hoping you will be able to answer some questions I have.  Please forgive me in advance if I shouldn't post things like this, but like I said, you all seem to have a pretty good knowledge about medical related things!

I have an examination with an oral surgeon set next Monday to see if they concur with my dentist about having my wisdom teeth pulled and I got online tonight to fill out the forms before hand.  I was really kind of irked because they ask sooo many personal questions, more than I'm used to filling out.  We used to not have insurance and I would ignore the questions about my social security and such and such; now that we have insurance do I need to fill those things out?  What exactly can I get away with not filling in?  I'm not trying to be weird and reclusive, but the idea of dropping my identity everywhere really does not sit well with me.

Secondly, is having my wisdom teeth pulled seriously my only option (Yes, I do have a small mouth and my dentist seems to feel my wisdom teeth are impacted)?  I admit: I'm scared and that might sound silly.  I've never had surgery and I've never been under anesthesia.  I've had four births, no epidurals, and no C-sections, so the thought of someone cutting me open (even if it is a 'small' low risk surgery like wisdom teeth extraction) really freaks me out especially when I read about complications such as: sensory nerve damage and sinus complications.  Not to mention I generally avoid doctors.  If I can heal it at home, I do not see any reason or purpose to go see them.  With teeth i just don't know; I feel like I don't have an option.  That's a huge leap from homeopathic remedies to the surgeon's table!

*breathes in, breathes out*.  Okay, I think I'm feeling a little better now!

Photobucket

Mommy to Emmanuel (6), Shelby (3), Savannah (2), Eliana (4mo)

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
monkeyberry
by Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM

I was always told that if they don't hurt, and aren't causing crowding, they don't need to come out. Having said that, my wisdom teeth were TERRIBLE.  I ended up having sections of my jawbone cut out and the doctor that does it remembers how bad they were to this day! I had dry sockets with all of them which sucked pretty badly and I also had nerve damage that they were pretty concerned about. I gradually got feeling back in my face after a few months of having my husband tell me it was cute when I smiled crooked and talked out of the side of my mouth like Drew Barrymore...not cute to me.  Even with all the problems I had, I would do it again, because they hurt so badly in my mouth!  I would get them all done at once, though so you only have to go through it one time, and make sure you have someone to take care of you for the day.  I was pretty loopy afterwards! (as in I told the dentist I wanted to keep the teeth he took out an have them goldplated and put them on my mantle!)

As for insurance, I ususally fill them out the best I can because your social is probably what they have on file for you, you can ask, though, if they will use your drivers liscense numebr instead, I have done that and they usually roll their eyes and do it. They really only need your insurance ID number, if I am not mistaken, and probably proof of ID.  I had to show my ID three times when my DD broke her foot a few weeks ago!

Good luck, and remember...........breathe.

Imamom4sure
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM

my dh had his wisdom lower wisdom teeth removed last month and he developed a complication (which is not rare) called "dry socket" and for over 3 weeks he hurt, and for most of that time he couldn't sleep well or eat well, this didn't happen to me when I had mine out, but I was pretty bad off for a couple of days, mine were impacted, occasionally they would be tender before I removed them, I don't notice any benefit, but my dh thinks that it was a good idea so that it helps me prevent gum disease, I was in my mid 20s, and I was put under for oral surgery since they were badly impacted, I felt so beat up and shaky afterwards.  btw, usually women get dry socket, i was very lucky.  my girlfriend said that she mostly slept for 2 weeks following her wisdom teeth removal, and couldn't get anything done.  after what she said and my dh went through I consider myself lucky and I thought I was miserable!

momoflilangel
by Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I had mine removed. I didn't get dry socket. (make sure you don't drink from a straw) I needed mine removed b/c of having a small mouth. The teeth were inside the gums and had to room to come out. The dentist said I needed them removed and the sooner the better b/c they were almost touching nerves inside the gums. So I did it. You need a person to drive you there and home. You also need a "babysitter" for you and your children b/c you are under medication. I will say that my recover was a little more then what I have heard others say they went through but in the end I dont' have to worry about them anymore.

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I had to have all of mine taken out, they were all impacted giving me terrible headaches.  Mine were also pushed into my jaw and they had to break them into pieces to get them out.  I choose to be out to sleep for this.  I did not want to be awake when they were cracking my teeth...lol  It was a bit painful afterwards, but I also had dry sockets in two of mine.  If you aregoing to get some removed, I would say get them all, so you don't have to do it again if they giv eyou problems later.  One problem I did have for quite some time afterwards was part of my lip down towards my chin was numb and got tingles, but it went away and I got all feeling back.  I was told that was a rare side effect, but that feeling usually returns.  I outweighed the good and bad and needed them out, so went for it.

For isurance, I also fill it out as best as I can, but I tend to leave my social off and offer my DL number and give them all my insurance info.

Good luck mama!!

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I had my left and right taken out in two separate surgeries because I had to work. I wasn't knocked out but was given enough gas that it felt like it was over in 2min. I munched on tortilla chips (felt good don't know why) after and used cooked tea bags to help stem the bleeding. I only needed the drugs for 2.5 days. I think that only my very last ones were becoming compacted, but I was joining the military and wanted it done by civilian doctors.

If you haven't seen your x-rays I would go back and have them explain again why they think it is necessary, while you are looking at your x-rays. My hs boyfriend's mother ended up with compacted teeth in her 40s and it was a complicated surgury to get them out at that point.

faelih
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted an answer to this! 

It was interesting to see folk's different responses: some with issues, some without.

I do have an x-ray available.  A Pano or whatever they call it.  My dentist sent me home with it so I can take it with me to the oral surgeon.  All I see are teeth, so hopefully the oral surgeon will be able to explain it to me further.  :).

Photobucket

Imamom4sure
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 7:00 AM

as for dry socket, my dh is an older man, but they say its more common with women of fertile years or on the pill- he was doing his best to prevent it, he was warned (I was not warned when I had mine out, but I wasn't on the pill) I didnt' get dry socket, but he did.  I think maybe because he has slight gum disease issues and I don't.

anyway, although clove oil made his mouth feel better, he either coinicidently because of a cold had chest congestion or the clove oil caused it. he only did clove oil once and it was already on the mends when we tried the remedy after he had been suffering over 2 weeks

faelih
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Quoting Imamom4sure:

as for dry socket, my dh is an older man, but they say its more common with women of fertile years or on the pill- he was doing his best to prevent it, he was warned (I was not warned when I had mine out, but I wasn't on the pill) I didnt' get dry socket, but he did.  I think maybe because he has slight gum disease issues and I don't.

anyway, although clove oil made his mouth feel better, he either coinicidently because of a cold had chest congestion or the clove oil caused it. he only did clove oil once and it was already on the mends when we tried the remedy after he had been suffering over 2 weeks

I find clove oil does a great job numbing pain... I also find it tastes absolutely horrid.  Lol.  I wonder if there is an easier way to get it to wherever you need it with minimal contact with the tongue? 

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)