Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something I don't understand (about H1N1 nasal mist)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 2289 Total Views

Why, if there's an injected form of the H1N1 vaccine, is the nasal mist one also used, which sheds and basically makes the person who got it contagious?  I just found out they don't give the nasal mist to pregnant women b/c of the shedding factor...so that's basically admitting that it's dangerous because of this.  I don't understand why, if "they" (the government, whoever) are so afraid of this virus, the live virus nasal mist is being offered as an option.  It just seems like it's making MORE people get it.  I understand that perhaps the nasal mist has fewer harmful additives, and that maybe it's a "healthier" way to receive the vaccine (if there is such a thing)...but since when do "they" care about that?  If that's the reason, isn't that like admitting the injected ones probably aren't safe?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kd.
by Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I don't know, but I read in Britain (or somewhere European) the government officials are getting adjuvant free vaxes and the general population found out and are irate because they get the ones loaded with it.

Kari78
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:43 AM

...And this may be an ignorant question, but does the gov't have any control over what types of vaccines are offered to the public?  Or are the drug companies able to decide for themselves what forms to offer vaccines in?  Who is it up to, that there is an injected form (not live/shedding) and a nasal form (live & shedding)?  The reason I'm wondering is, maybe the drug companies wouldn't exactly mind if more people got the virus (partially because of all the contagious people out there who are shedding live viruses after their nasal vaccine).  If there are really more cases, maybe more people will pay to have the vaccine?  That would be really sick!!

wulfbourne
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:44 AM

http://hubpages.com/hub/FluMist-Influenza-Vaccination

That kind of talks about the flu mist a bit.  Not sure if it will answer your questions.  I know with the H1N1 there were production problems with the shot, which is why they are short on the shot. That's why they want to save the shots for high risk populations.

Many people prefer the flu mist because it's not a shot.  It is a live virus, but like you mentioned it's a more 'natural' way of getting it.  Plus, it is thermasol free, which more people have been looking at lately.  

Autumn22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I've heard ppl refer to vaccines as population control.

?

Kari78
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Touche!  Too bad the people who are (uninformed? whatever you want to call it) enough to get the live vaccines might be "population controlling" even those of us who don't get them...puke.

Quoting Autumn22:

I've heard ppl refer to vaccines as population control.

?

kk_bella
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I heard a vaccination debate on the Sean Hannity Show yesterday.

The anti vaccine doctor seemed like he was still pro-some vaccines, but very much against the H1N1.

He did say, though, that if someone were going to get the vaccine and asked him what kind they should get, that he would recommend the flu mist because of....this is where all the medical terms come in....because of the hormonal aspect. he said that the shot affects your hormones but that the nasal mist does not.

I can't remember the terms he was using. T1T2? 

I am sure someone in this group will know what I am talking about; it made perfect sense on the radio yesterday.

Outside of that, I don't know, I think it's all a big conspiracy. 

Kari78
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM

That does make sense, that the mist would be healthier for the individual person getting it.  But what about the fact that we're supposedly in a "national emergency," and supposedly want to keep as many people as possible from getting the flu?  How does a contagious vaccine make sense from that standpoint?

Quoting kk_bella:

The anti vaccine doctor seemed like he was still pro-some vaccines, but very much against the H1N1.

He did say, though, that if someone were going to get the vaccine and asked him what kind they should get, that he would recommend the flu mist because of....this is where all the medical terms come in....because of the hormonal aspect. he said that the shot affects your hormones but that the nasal mist does not.

I am sure someone in this group will know what I am talking about; it made perfect sense on the radio yesterday.

Butterflycraze2
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Yeah that would be the government admitting it is dangerous lol. I'm sick of all this swine flu shit, damn near everyone has their panties in a bunch about it and they freak out because "oh no little jimmy got the swine flu what do I do" and every time I see one of those posts I have to FORCE myself to be nice or I just avoid them completely because I really want to scream at the top of my lungs CHILL THE FUCK OUT, ITS THE FUCKING FLU, but ultimiately I don't lol.

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

wulfbourne
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Honestly, I think the shedding is very minimal.  For people with normal immune systems it wouldn't even phase us if we got exposed to those germs because they're already watered down so much when they enter the carrier that any shedding is going to be even that much less potent.  

From vaccineinfo.net:  FluMist contains live (attenuated) influenza viruses that replicate in the nasopharynx of the vaccine recipient. The most common side effects include "cough, runny nose/nasal congestion, irritability, headaches, chills, muscle aches and fever > 100° F."[6] These symptoms are nearly identical to those the flu vaccine is designed to prevent. [7]

A cause for significant concern is the vaccine's most prevalent side effects: "runny nose" and "nasal congestion." It has been documented that the live viruses from the vaccine can be shed (and potentially spread into the community) from recipient children for up to 21 days,[8] and even longer from adults.[9] Viral shedding also puts breastfeeding infants at risk if the mother has been given FluMist.[10]

In addition to shedding via nasal secretions, the virus can be dispersed through sneezing. What is the normal physiological response when an irritant enters the nasal passages? A sneeze.sometimes a big sneeze.sometimes several big sneezes. Therefore, the risk for shedding-and spreading-live viruses throughout a school, church, workplace, or store - especially one which is administering the vaccine.

According to that it seems that most of the shedding is via nasal secretions and sneezing, for up to 21 days after vaccination.  Most people aren't spreading nasal secretions around (well except maybe kids), and hopefully most people cover their mouth and nose when they sneeze (Elmo's trying to teach kids to do that).  But, anyway, my stance is still that the virus will be so watered down at that point that the average person won't get sick from it.

Quoting Kari78:

That does make sense, that the mist would be healthier for the individual person getting it.  But what about the fact that we're supposedly in a "national emergency," and supposedly want to keep as many people as possible from getting the flu?  How does a contagious vaccine make sense from that standpoint?

Quoting kk_bella:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)