Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problems at Check ups?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:18 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 365 Total Views

Does anyone know if you can get into any trouble if you are getting state assistance and not vaccinating?? My son is 7 months old and his last (and I mean last!) dose of shots were his 4 month, which he didn't get until almost 5 months...and he hasnt been back to the doctors since.

I know that I will come across some difficulty when it comes time for school or day-care (probably will not be needing daycare though) and I have started reading on the forms and what NOT to sign n all of that.

I am just wondering for the time being while we are on medicaid (live in michigan) if I am going to come across any problems. Also has anyone been asked to sign those awful forms for not vaccinating or did you have to switch doctors? Being on public assistance does not leave you many options for doctors.

I am finishing school as fast as possible and I hope I will then get a job with insurance, but for now I have no other option.

Please let me know if I am worrying for no reason about this. At this point I think taking him into a doctors office would be worse with it being flu season and all, but if I do I would like to be prepared. thanks.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
enetsala
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM

We don't do well baby check ups...because if he's well what do I need to see them for?  To get shots?  Our son is exempt but even before, we didnt take him and we were on medicaid...

CurvyMommato1
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Quoting enetsala:

We don't do well baby check ups...because if he's well what do I need to see them for?  To get shots?  Our son is exempt but even before, we didnt take him and we were on medicaid...

Good point, We always had to see the resident first anyways who tell me what I already know  and the doc at the very end who says the nurse will be in with shots soon....soooo lol its not necessary, but hopefully my state will not care they are providing my baby medical coverage and I do not have him up to date...maybe they will not notice..

amyw.
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I live in Michigan too :)

We have all 3 exemptions available here so you really shouldn't have too much trouble.  The doctor or your case worker from the state may tell you that you have to vaccinate but you do not.  My daughter had medicaid for the first year and we never had any problems I just told them we didn't vaccinate and we wouldn't be vaccinating.  I had to interview a few doctors b/c they gave me problems but I never had trouble with medicaid.

As far as school or daycare, you shouldn't have too much of a problem there either.  Just file your exemption with enrollment and as long as it's a public school, they have to accept that.  They may be uninformed and tell you they have to have vaccines but with all three exemptions available, vaccination is your choice.  Just be sure to learn as much as possible about the laws in Michigan and your rights.  I know some people print a copy of the state laws and keep it in their purse in case someone gives you trouble you can show them or leave a copy for them or to be put in the file at your doctors office, school, etc.

Here is info on our state laws:

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/michigan.aspx

Here is a website with an exemption form and other info (Michigan Opposing Mandatory Vaccines) :

http://www.momvaccines.org/html/vaccine_waiver.html

" The next major advance in the health of the American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself."- John Knowles

ready_for2
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM

we're on medicaid and i refuse shots every time. i just have to sign a paper saying that i refused.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM

We're on TennCare, and we just signed the state Health Department form that says we are refusing for religious reasons.  My family doctor is great about it.  She said, "If it were my kids, I wouldn't either."  Just find a doctor who will support you, and sign the bare minimum of what you have to.

SuperMommy486
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM

In Texas it's the same. We just refuse and end up having to see a new Dr, every time. DO NOT SIGN ANY PAPER the Dr. gives you about refusing Vaccines. Make your own , there are tons of free ones out there and insist on using the one you have. If they will not accpet it, find a new Dr.

CurvyMommato1
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Yeah the posters who said they signed thing worry me, because the first thing I came across in figuring this all out was NEVER sign anything. And since I am not in a relationship with my sons father I would never want anyone to be able to use this against me. Thanks for the help everyone.

Autumn22
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I'm on state funded insurance and I don't vaccinate.  No issues at all.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Quoting CurvyMommato1:

Yeah the posters who said they signed thing worry me, because the first thing I came across in figuring this all out was NEVER sign anything. And since I am not in a relationship with my sons father I would never want anyone to be able to use this against me. Thanks for the help everyone.

You are within your rights as a parent to knowledgebly not vaccinate, though you may want to have an exemption (religious is easiest) ready as a place holder for any other vax form.

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Quoting happytexasCM:

Quoting CurvyMommato1:

You are within your rights as a parent to knowledgebly not vaccinate, though you may want to have an exemption (religious is easiest) ready as a place holder for any other vax form.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)