Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MMR

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:21 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 374 Total Views

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this vaccine separated?  I asked the pedi but he said they don't make it anymore and maybe in 2012 they will separate it.  My son will be 3 next September and I want to put him in preschool but I really don't want to give him the MMR vaccine all at once.  I don't think the school he may go to will accept a religious exemption bec, they are not publicly funded.  So my question is, does anyone know of a way to get this shot separated?  Can I order it from somewhere?  Also, would like to know if you delayed this shot and if your kid had a bad reaction to it.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heydooney
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Well, I'm probably no help at all. I'm skipping this one altogether for my kids. When I had this shot as a kid (age 2-3 maybe?), I dropped to the ground and started seizuring. The doctors told my mom that it couldn't possibly have been from the vaccine. However, they also said that if I'd actually got measles it would have been a lot worse.

1 - if it wasn't from the vaccine, then why would measles do the same thing only worse???
2 - why measles specifically, why not mumps or rubella???

I just don't trust it, especially when I had such a bad and scary reaction.

Hi, I'm Danielle. Here I am in a nutshell:

LKRA
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM

About four months ago, I asked my pediatrician about getting them seperated, and she said she could, but that it takes a long time to get after it's ordered and it's expensive.

We're skipping it all together, though. Scares the crap out of me.

jenC1978
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I would love to just skip it too but then what about school?  He will need it?

Quoting jenC1978:

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this vaccine separated?  I asked the pedi but he said they don't make it anymore and maybe in 2012 they will separate it.  My son will be 3 next September and I want to put him in preschool but I really don't want to give him the MMR vaccine all at once.  I don't think the school he may go to will accept a religious exemption bec, they are not publicly funded.  So my question is, does anyone know of a way to get this shot separated?  Can I order it from somewhere?  Also, would like to know if you delayed this shot and if your kid had a bad reaction to it.

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I would never give a vaccine I didn't want to bc the school says he has to have it.  No one has to have a vaccine.  If it were me and you couldn't use an exemption and you can't find a way around it, I would find a new school.  You can try to call around and see if you can order it, but changes are, you are not going to find it anywhere.  I'm confused as to why you would still get it for your child just because the school says he has to have it? 

Quoting jenC1978:

Quoting jenC1978:

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

jenC1978
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I haven't actually picked out what school he will go to yet but it may be a catholic school and I don't think they accept religious exemptions.  I want my kid in school definitely in Sept. and I don't believe in homeschooling or anything like that. 

Quoting buzymamaof3:

I would never give a vaccine I didn't want to bc the school says he has to have it.  No one has to have a vaccine.  If it were me and you couldn't use an exemption and you can't find a way around it, I would find a new school.  You can try to call around and see if you can order it, but changes are, you are not going to find it anywhere.  I'm confused as to why you would still get it for your child just because the school says he has to have it? 

Quoting jenC1978:

Quoting jenC1978:

LKRA
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I think, by law, they sort of HAVE TO accept the exemptions. Vaccines are not mandatory. Did you check with your state?

Quoting jenC1978:

I haven't actually picked out what school he will go to yet but it may be a catholic school and I don't think they accept religious exemptions.  I want my kid in school definitely in Sept. and I don't believe in homeschooling or anything like that. 

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Quoting jenC1978:

Quoting jenC1978:

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Quoting jenC1978:

In answer to the original question, call around. The manufacturer of the separate MMR is waffling on continuing to produce it. Right now they are saying no.

The legal age to begin school or declare homeschooling is 6 or 7, depending on the state.  A three year old is still a baby; there is no rush to put him in school. I don't understand why you would inject your child with a drug you believe to be harmful due to...I don't know--is it peer pressure? Will people look at you weird if your 3yo isn't in "school"?  3yo's are still at a stage where they primarily learn by playing. If he happens to learn colors, shapes and ABCs from you, he won't have to wear a homeschooling scarlet letter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I just find it very interesting that they are so quick to blame an
underlying condition for her death [post HPV vaccine], but if you point out that most
people who die from VPDs (not cervical cancer, but the other ones) also
have underlying conditions you are told that it is irrelevant and the
diseases are so scary, and get the shots." ~~Just Lily~~

jenC1978
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I want him in school bec. I think he needs to interact with other kids.  I work full time and I have a woman who watches him but he will need more stimulation when he is 3.  I would love not to get any of these damn vaccines but everyone makes it sound so easy to just get an exemption.  I don't think it's that easy in NYS.  I don't plan on giving him the MMR anytime soon.

Quoting happytexasCM:

Quoting jenC1978:

In answer to the original question, call around. The manufacturer of the separate MMR is waffling on continuing to produce it. Right now they are saying no.

The legal age to begin school or declare homeschooling is 6 or 7, depending on the state.  A three year old is still a baby; there is no rush to put him in school. I don't understand why you would inject your child with a drug you believe to be harmful due to...I don't know--is it peer pressure? Will people look at you weird if your 3yo isn't in "school"?  3yo's are still at a stage where they primarily learn by playing. If he happens to learn colors, shapes and ABCs from you, he won't have to wear a homeschooling scarlet letter.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Quoting jenC1978:

I want him in school bec. I think he needs to interact with other kids.  I work full time and I have a woman who watches him but he will need more stimulation when he is 3.  I would love not to get any of these damn vaccines but everyone makes it sound so easy to just get an exemption.  I don't think it's that easy in NYS.  I don't plan on giving him the MMR anytime soon.

It depends what part. If you are in NYC, not so easy. Other parts of NY are not so picky. It looks like NY has extended the lay to daycare and preschools without exception to private schools; I can't find definitive information yet. If private schools are not exempt from vaccinations law, they may not exempt themselves from exemptions, Catholic or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I just find it very interesting that they are so quick to blame an
underlying condition for her death [post HPV vaccine], but if you point out that most
people who die from VPDs (not cervical cancer, but the other ones) also
have underlying conditions you are told that it is irrelevant and the
diseases are so scary, and get the shots." ~~Just Lily~~

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM

happy

If he happens to learn colors, shapes and ABCs from you, he won't have to wear a homeschooling scarlet letter.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)