Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Deworming a cat?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 200 Total Views

hey girls!  i was just told by my husband that he saw a worm in my cats butt.  **gross** sorry, to offend anyone.  i wasn't sure how to write that without being blunt. anyway, he said he wanted to pick up some over the counter medicine for him because we can't afford to take him to the vet.  so my question to you all is, does anyone know of the most natural way to deworm a cat?  i don't know what type of worms he has.  he isn't sick or acting any different.  my husband said to keep him out of the house until we figure it out tho.  any advice is greatly appreciated.  :)  i just don't want to give him something bad and i have no clue about this.  thanks!

Want healthy kids?  Don't rely on Big Pharma.  They profit off of you and your children staying sick!  Empower yourself and through all natural vitamins and supplements, we can take care of our own!! Ask me about holistic and alternative ways to treat your children.

Peace & Love, Emily

www.mynsp.com/healthykidshappymommy

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
momoflilangel
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM

not sure if this is the kind of worm or not but it says it is the most common type and tells about it:

Tapeworms

By far the most common internal parasite we encounter is Tapeworms. The scientific name for the Tapeworm we encounter in our area is called Dipylidium.

Life cycle

The source of the infestation is a flea that has been swallowed by your pet or a cat that eats infected rodents. The flea gets the Tapeworm in its system by swallowing it during its larval stages, when the larvae eat the eggs that have been passed from pets that are already infested with Tapeworms.

Symptoms

In spite of their prevalence Tapeworms are not a significant cause of disease in dogs and cats. Most pets do not have any symptoms, and if symptoms are present, are mild in nature. Some pets will itch at their anus when the worms cause irritation as they pass.

Diagnosis

Most Tapeworms are diagnosed by visualizing the worm in your pets feces, crawling around its anus, or in its bedding. Tapeworms segments crawling on your dog's anus might cause scooting, although full anal sacs are a much more common cause of scooting. They come in long attachments that usually break off into individual pieces when they exit from your pet. They usually look like pieces of white rice and turn yellow after they have been out of the body for a while.

This is a packet of Tapeworm eggs as viewed under a microscope. It is rare for us to see them in this packet because the fecal flotation solution causes this packet to burst.

Treatment

Several medications are available that are highly effective at ridding you pet of Tapeworms. The most common treatment is an injection that rids your pet of all Tapeworms within 24 hours. It does nothing to prevent your pet from re-infecting itself. Proper flea control does.

Prevention

Since fleas are directly responsible for this infestation their control is apparent. We recommend advantage and Program for safe, economical, convenient, and highly effective flea prevention. A new product, called Revolution, will kill fleas, heartworms, ear mites, and even internal parasites. Please ask our receptionist for a brochure.

Public Health Significance

Children can pick up Tapeworms from eating fleas, but it rarely causes any problem. Other species of Tapeworms exist that have significant potential to cause serious disease in people. Fortunately, we do not encounter them in our local area in dogs and cats.

girlintheflock
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM

thanks very much for that information.  i guess i should just let me husband purchase the over the counter stuff. 

Want healthy kids?  Don't rely on Big Pharma.  They profit off of you and your children staying sick!  Empower yourself and through all natural vitamins and supplements, we can take care of our own!! Ask me about holistic and alternative ways to treat your children.

Peace & Love, Emily

DreaKevAiyana
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Order this stuff from Drs. Foster & Smith - it's the only stuff that has gotten rid of my cats tapeworms years ago (luckily they haven't had them in forever!)  My vet even recommended it when we didn't have enough $$ for his stuff.

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease." - Thomas Alva Edison

girlintheflock
by Member on Nov. 18, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Quoting DreaKevAiyana:

Order this stuff from Drs. Foster & Smith - it's the only stuff that has gotten rid of my cats tapeworms years ago (luckily they haven't had them in forever!)  My vet even recommended it when we didn't have enough $$ for his stuff.

Thanks so much!  I'm ordering it now. :)

Peace & Love, Emily

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)