Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamin K While Pregnant? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 781 Total Views

Since I'm a non-vaxing mom, I like to make sure all of the vitamins for myself, my DD, and my unborn baby are all well taken care of. So, I am curious if I should take vitamin K while I'm pregnant? I'm 14 weeks along and due in May. I want to start taking 2 mg of vitamin K daily along with  my regular regimen. Does anyone have any advice to throw me? Once I start breastfeeding this new baby (mid-May), I want to up the dosage to 4 mg daily, to ensure he/she gets an adequate amount. As of right now I'm taking, a once-a-day mulitvitamin, 400mg of magnesium, a probiotic (sometimes double the dosage on my "off" days), 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3, and fish oil with omega 3. I am going to get more B6 today, I ran out a month ago and have been so extremely nauseated ever since. I take about 100mg-150mg daily with those. I eat a lot of fresh veggies, cheese, and drink lots of water. I don't eat a whole lot of meat, maybe 3 days per week? I snack on string cheese or veggies (with ranch dressing lol) and also have a pb&j sandwich daily. If there are any suggestions for foods that I could add in, or any other vitamin/mineral/etc supplement to have a healthy(ier) pregnancy, please let me know! Thanks in advance to all of the comments! I eat dinner pretty regularly, but mainly just snack throughout the day. Thanks again!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM

BUMP! I see views, but no comments! Help, please! I am leaving for the store in a little bit, have a couple other things to get too. :) Thank you! 

by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Anyone???? BUMP!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM

some prenatals have K in them, I believe Rainbow Light did when I took that. I plan to increase my intake of K rich foods just prior to birth, hoping it will increase the content in my colostrum. 

by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Increasing your intake of vitamin K (as long as you aren't on anti-coagulants) will help prevent postpartum hemorrhage. Obviously, over the supplements, it would be best to get the DV through nutrition sources - that's the only bit of advice I have. If you are taking a prenatal or something similar, try and get one with as many whole food sources as possible.

Technology has turned the fetus into a patient, reducing the mother to being the 'maternal environment' and preventing attachment until after the ultrasound has shown the fetus to be 'normal.'

-Jennifer Hall

by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Ok, thank you both! I think I'm going to check out the ones online at the natural food sites I check out. They have them for fairly cheap.  I just don't eat a whole lot of food period, so I really can't up my intake of vit K rich foods. It's tough for me to think of putting food in my mouth. I am getting great nutrition, just really hard to eat anything past my "ok" food so far....gag reflexes are AWFUL! lol! Thanks!If anyone else has any input, please feel free to post!

by Member on Nov. 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM

I took it as well. I did not start till my third trimester, just did not think of it. I did my prenatal vitamins individually and used good quality vitamins. All the prenatals had something in them I either would react to or I felt was not a healthy ingredient. So I looked at a few boxes for prenatals and saw vitamin K on them and used that dosage.

"Children are a gift from God."

by Member on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM

So I ran to the kitchen to take a look at my Rainbow Light Prenatal vitamins and sure enough it has vitamin K (65 mcg). When I was preggers I simply took this vitamin, flaxseed oil  pills, and FLoradix for the iron. I ate really healthy most of the time with whole grains, fruits and veggies. I ate fish my entire pregnancy b/c culturally fish is a staple in my diet and my midwife said it was fine so long as I stuck to the low mercury types (I dont eat red meat or chicken).  I had a homebirth that went without a hitch.  From my experience just taking a good prenatal vitamin that has all the essentials as well as eating whole foods you'll be fine :).  I still take my same brand of prenatals b/c I'm BFing my now 6 month old daughter, still pretty much eat how I ate when I was pregnant and she hasn't had a single cold, ear infection, diaper rash, or anything!!  In fact I didn't even know she was teething until I saw a lil tooth peaking its head out 2 weeks ago.  So I give you this VERY long winded answer to say do what you feel is best for you and your baby :)....happy pregnancy!

by Member on Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Thank you!! I know they give about 2mg in the Vit K shot, so that's why I chose to go for 2mg (2000 mcg). I definitely am going to buy this in aweek and a half with the next paycheck. I feel a little empty so far this pregnancy, and maybe this will help. I think I'll just feel better taking it and knowing I have it in both of know? Thanks for all of the input! :) 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)