Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tamiflu question

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 730 Total Views

My son has a fever and a really bad cough, I took him to the doctor and they ruled out pneumonia and bronchitis. They THINK he has or may be getting the flu, so the prescribed tamiflu for him. I'm not sure if it's really necessary and I was hoping someone in this group might have some info or advice on the medicine. Thanks!!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Please please please do not use Tamiflu, it is dangerous and has some nasty...oops, disclaimer...I am not a medical professional, and my advice is not a medical opinion and I will not be held responsible for what comes out of my mouth, (or fingers) if you intend to follow my advice. 

Anyway, I would boost his Vit C and D3 and give him elderberrry, taking Umcka is also very good for the cold and flu, you can find this at a health food store.  Plenty of water and sleep.  If he will eat garlic, or if you can sneak it in that will help, for a cough you can try honey and lemom in some tea or I will put it in warmed apple juice for my kids when they are sick.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

Terri441
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I'm not sure how old your son is but here is a link to the Dr Tenpenny info on Vit D
http://drtenpenny.com/VitaminD_info.aspx
Vit D and C are the only things we did extra for our kids who are 2 and 3 when they started coming down with the flu this fall. It worked like a charm and we were all better very quickly.
The dose she recommends on the chart on the bottom of the link is by age, and it's probably a lot more than you would have thought to give a child, or anyone for that matter.
You can buy Vit D pills that melt in the kids mouths or drops that are a higher unit concentration depending on how old your son is and how able to take actual vit D pills he is.

I personally think tamiflu is awful stuff, I have read awful stuff about it but don't have any links to share with you on that. Sorry.

Kellinna
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Thanks so much for the input, I instantly was suspicious about this medicine. I have been reading the dreadfully long package insert and it sounds like a pretty pointless medication with a lot of ugly side effects.

Kellinna
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Which part are you referring to on the disclaimer?

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Please please please do not use Tamiflu, it is dangerous and has some nasty...oops, disclaimer...I am not a medical professional, and my advice is not a medical opinion and I will not be held responsible for what comes out of my mouth, (or fingers) if you intend to follow my advice. 

Anyway, I would boost his Vit C and D3 and give him elderberrry, taking Umcka is also very good for the cold and flu, you can find this at a health food store.  Plenty of water and sleep.  If he will eat garlic, or if you can sneak it in that will help, for a cough you can try honey and lemom in some tea or I will put it in warmed apple juice for my kids when they are sick.

Kellinna
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I was emailing a friend of mine and she said her family had the flu and the tamiflu helped a lot. She said I should give it to him instead of risking that the flu might turn into pneumonia. OH the confusion!!!!!!!!!

asaffell
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205542/Tamiflu-risks-outweigh-benefits-children-warn-swine-flu-experts.html

Technology has turned the fetus into a patient, reducing the mother to being the 'maternal environment' and preventing attachment until after the ultrasound has shown the fetus to be 'normal.'

-Jennifer Hall

BREASTFEEDING IS NOT ADULT NATURED! 

Kellinna
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM

And.....Last year my son had pneumonia twice! So I'm not sure what to do now. And I think I'm just talking to myself on here...Ha ha ha!

Kellinna
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Thank you for sharing this, the video said that tamiflu doesn't necessarily prevent pneumonia. I hope they are right.

Quoting asaffell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205542/Tamiflu-risks-outweigh-benefits-children-warn-swine-flu-experts.html

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM

It's a joke, my dear....some dr recently got in trouble for stupid things like telling ppl to take vit d to prevent the flu...

Quoting Kellinna:

Which part are you referring to on the disclaimer?

Quoting buzymamaof3:

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

confused

Quoting Kellinna:

And.....Last year my son had pneumonia twice! So I'm not sure what to do now. And I think I'm just talking to myself on here...Ha ha ha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)