Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

H1N1 vaccine... and thanksgiving...

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 432 Total Views

Background info:
My son who will be 4 on Feb 6th 2010 will receive the swine flu vaccine over my dead body... I do my best to limit his exposure to sick people, allowing him to be around them and possibly build up immunity but not intentionally putting him in an enclosed area with them for an extended period of time. We live with my mom.
My brother, who has 5 kids plus him and his wife...just had there kids (possibly even themselves) in the clinic to receive the H1N1 vaccine (don't know if it was the nasal or shot).
My sister and her husband, have more then likely already had it as well.
Thanksgiving is next week, my mom had planned on holding thanksgiving dinner here...now I am a little upset, they all said we're not getting it, and I made it clear I don't want you around my son if you get it until your contagious period is over...and now they go and get it, knowing how I feel and that the dinner would be here and we would be here.

Question:
Would you cancel the dinner for safety reasons? My mother has already expressed concern over their, lets use the word ignorant, behavior after we told them everything we know and have read and heard both online and off-line about this in the US and other countries. Would you personally cancel dinner to be on the safe side?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Hmmm, that's a tough one, first I would find out which one they got...If it was the shot, then you should be fine, if however, it was the mist, I would not be having dinner with them.  We are staying home this year and I am making dinner and we are not inviting anyone...lol  For many reasons, but one of them being some family members are getting the mist (if they can find it) and if I invite one I have to invite them all...  If i were you I would call them and ask them which one they are getting and go from there.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

DyperDuty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:34 PM

No. You live in the same house as them. If he's going to be exposed by them, he probably already has been, or will soon be. I know it's a live virus (nasal spray one) but it is a weakened virus. So if your son has a strong immune system, he most likely won't catch anything from them. I would just up his vitamin C intake for the next 2-3 weeks.

StarsChildren
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Quoting DyperDuty:

No. You live in the same house as them. If he's going to be exposed by them, he probably already has been, or will soon be. I know it's a live virus (nasal spray one) but it is a weakened virus. So if your son has a strong immune system, he most likely won't catch anything from them. I would just up his vitamin C intake for the next 2-3 weeks.

No no... sorry I wasn't clear. When I said "we live with my mom" I meant, me and my son do. My brother and his wife and 5 kids all live somewhere else, my sister and her husband live somewhere else also. Sorry for the confusion.

My son has a great immune system, I never notice him being sick until the very end when he has a slight fever one day and the next its gone. And even then I am not sure if he was actually sick or just cutting teeth (this was last year or the year before). Its just, I don't know if 7-9 people around him, in an enclosed area is all that safe, it seems like I am asking for it by doing that.

StarsChildren
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Hmmm, that's a tough one, first I would find out which one they got...If it was the shot, then you should be fine, if however, it was the mist, I would not be having dinner with them.  We are staying home this year and I am making dinner and we are not inviting anyone...lol  For many reasons, but one of them being some family members are getting the mist (if they can find it) and if I invite one I have to invite them all...  If i were you I would call them and ask them which one they are getting and go from there.

My family would take offense if I asked which one they got... a few took horrid offense when I tried telling them about side effects and it being bad for you and so on. So if I was to ask, they'd probably flip out and it'd end up canceled anyway. My family has no sense of looking outside the box, except for my mom, who says she will go with whatever I decide since it is my son and she doesn't agree with what they did either.

enetsala
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM

We are going to be avoiding the rest of the family because of this issue. I would just say that ignorance wasnt allowed...but maybe nicer.

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:51 PM

See, I honestly, don't a rats ass if someone gets mad over something that is detrimental to my children's health.  If they get mad, then they will get over it.  they should have enough respect for your decision not to vax, to at least let you know.  They do not have to agree with what you do, but they should respect it.

Quoting StarsChildren:

Quoting buzymamaof3:

My family would take offense if I asked which one they got... a few took horrid offense when I tried telling them about side effects and it being bad for you and so on. So if I was to ask, they'd probably flip out and it'd end up canceled anyway. My family has no sense of looking outside the box, except for my mom, who says she will go with whatever I decide since it is my son and she doesn't agree with what they did either.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

CurvyMommato1
by Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM

me and my son live with my mother as well....and shes having thanksgiving dinner....my son will be almost 8 months old by then. It will be three aunts, two uncles along with 2 teenagers.. One of my aunts already had the vaccine (not that it matters) a month ago, and she works in a health department so shes in contact with ppl coming to get shots n all of that....teenagers go to school....I really do not want to be around all of this, for just this year with my son so young but I have nowhere else to go. I feel its the same situation as you, bc neither you or myself know who might have the flu....If I knew someone had gotten the nasal vaccine, I would ask, but if they insist on coming to dinner you can always just make sure you are very careful...if they are not doing anything to cause the shedding, you should be fine....If you do your best to stop the germ spredding, you might look paranoid to them, but who cares. If they are ignorant enough to tell you they did get the nasal vaccine and still come and cough and sneeze all over, I'd kick em out.

I find it wierd how they do not make children who get the nasal mist stay home from school....odd if it sheds.

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM

It's invasive, it's everywhere, it's unavoidable. Many people will colonize it and be asymptomatic as well as becoming sick. You can be infected with anything and be perfectly fine. Your child could contract it from someone at church or the grocery store, why spoil Thanksgiving? Keep up on Vitamin D, C, and A for him and yourself.

Jessmomto2
by Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM

We had the same thing come up at Halloween when my neice had received her first dose of the mist.  We consulted with several doctors and the consensus was to avoid direct contact (hugging, kissing, sharing of cups or utensils, etc) and use very good hygeine.  And that's what we did.  We also made sure that everyone got all their vitamins and supplements.

I wouldn't want to miss Thanksgiving, even in your position, so just be really careful and you can disinfect all the common surfaces after they all leave.

SAHM to DD and DS.  Married to the love of my life since '04.  Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.  We're part-time HSing, selectively vaxing, skipping formal preschool, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, and hugging our kids every chance we get.  We are the best caregiver's and teacher's for our kids and will NOT let the schools tell us otherwise.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I would just prep your child by making sure he is well rested and some vitamins C & D, and avoid sugar that week if he'll be having it that day.

You could always be sneaky and have your mom ask which type their doctor is giving out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)