Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Shot Being "Encouraged" in Labor and Delivery

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 707 Total Views

Well, here is my brag first!! 

Micah Samuel born November 29!!  21 1/2 inches and 7 pounds 14 ounces.  I went in to get checked (my husband was supposed to preach at church and we were trying to decide if he should go) at 7:10 a.m. and I was 9 1/2 cm!!  He was born at 8:47 a.m.

Later during that day the nurses told me they are giving shots to the moms for the baby's protection!  It is a DTP shot!!  They wanted to know if I had had a tetanus shot in the last 2 years.  If not, they want you to get this Diptheria, tetanus, (and I thought Pertussis) shot to keep your baby safe!  I said no thank you.  :-)  I am not sure how I feel about shots for myself, but the tetanus shot made me sore for over 6 months - I had problems with my arm.  That was the last thing I needed as I went home to care for a new baby and 3 toddlers!!!

Anyone else offered this?

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul
 and with all your might.  These words which I am commanding you today, 
     shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons
                  and shall talk of them when you sit in your house
            and when you walk by the way and when you lie down 
                     and when you rise up.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7
                       Come grow with us at Godly Mothering!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kk_bella
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM

First...CONGRATS!!!!! He is beautifuL!

Second...that's nuts!

kttycat84
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I thought tetanus shots were supposed to last for 5-10 years?  I haven't had one in 15, so I know I'm overdue for one.  I don't plan on getting one though, and I wasn't offered one when I had my baby in January, that's crazy!  And you shouldn't need a diptheria and pertussis booster if it's just your tetanus that's overdue.  Congrats on the little one!

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM
Yeah! It has been changed. I don't know if it is just for new moms or an overall change. But it was 2 years for the tetanus!!! I shouldn't have thrown away the paper about it. Then I could have told you more. I just pitched a bunch of stuff at the hospital 'cause I didn't want to bring 'trash' home. Might as well toss it there!
Quoting kttycat84:

I thought tetanus shots were supposed to last for 5-10 years?  I haven't had one in 15, so I know I'm overdue for one.  I don't plan on getting one though, and I wasn't offered one when I had my baby in January, that's crazy!  And you shouldn't need a diptheria and pertussis booster if it's just your tetanus that's overdue.  Congrats on the little one!

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul
 and with all your might.  These words which I am commanding you today, 
     shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons
                  and shall talk of them when you sit in your house
            and when you walk by the way and when you lie down 
                     and when you rise up.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7
                       Come grow with us at Godly Mothering!

Pishyah
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM

My baby's 3 months old and they didn't offer it to us.  I did get offered one about 2 years ago because they changed the tetanus for adults to have pertussis in it.  Apparently, babies were getting pertussis from their parents because the parents weren't vaccinated so now we vaccinate parents.  I think it changed about 2 years ago which is why they're asking if you've had it with in 2 years so you've had the pertussis.  Makes me gag.

Pweek
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM

First of all, congrats on your beautiful little one!

I hadn't heard about them pushing the DTP, but I do know several of my friends have been "strongly encouraged" (i.e. bullied) about getting the MMR shortly after birth. BTW, if you had that much trouble after a tetanus shot, you had a bad reaction and were wise to avoid the shot this time. A friend of mine has a little girl who had a similar reaction (it was to the MMR, though). Although her pedi very firmly told her it was a "normal" reaction, a family friend (also a doc) told her it was an indication of a bad reaction and to never allow her to get another one because each subsequent reaction will be worse.

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I went into the ER 2 years ago with severe poison ivy on my face, just needing a script for prednisone and they wanted me to get the DPT as well. I was like, "Are you kidding me, for poison ivy?" And the nurse said they are reccommending ALL adults get the DPT shot since there has been an increase in pertussis. And they do NOT make pertussis just by itself, they only make a DT or a TP shot. See what Dr Tenpenny has to say about Tetanus, it is actually quite dificult to contract and does not have a high mortality rate as previously thought!!!

Kari78
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:09 AM

When I had my ds almost 2 years ago, they were "offering" me the same thing...for free!  Wow what a bargain, lol.  They didn't tell me it was DTaP though, they just called it "Tetanus"...well at that time I wasn't fully educated and I didn't realize the straight Tetanus shot isn't generally available and that it was probably DTaP.  And Tetanus was the one shot I thought was probably okay, and was still planning on eventually getting ds.  Thankfully I decided not to get the shot though...even though it was FREE!  (lol).

charity987
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM

My lil guy is 7 weeks old & I was also "offered" this vax in the hospital. I think it was once I was on the post-partum floor. Thankfully no one was pushy (about that or Hep-B for the bebe). She just asked me to initial that she had offered it to me.

Sammieda
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Congrats.. He's BEAUTIFUL!

My friend had her daughter a month after I had my daughter at the same hospital and they offered her the shot and she took it. They nevered offered me the vaccine probably because i declined all the vaccines for sadie but who knows. I was shocked when she had told me. She knows how i feel about vaccines as well.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Congrats, what a cutie!!!

I had a homebirth so obviously no shots were offered or encouraged.  My MWs can't even do shots if they wanted to, which they don't.  I know most other moms in my due date group were encouraged to get this at the hospital when they had their babies.  One baby in our group died from pertussis when he was about 8 weeks old.  They say babies usually get it from the parents.  I'm not saying this is a reason to get the shot but that's the idea behind it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)