Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ear infections

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 334 Total Views

SO my 3 yr old came down with a cold and gave it to my 1 yr old who ended up with a double ear from of course the cold itself. My question to you ladies is when your child gets sick do you start treating the ears with drops etc to prevent an ear infection?

For all of its proven PUBLIC health benefits, breastfeeding is a PERSONAL DECISION -- shooting your kid full of toxins, though, is a "social responsibility."

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
carolasaya
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM
I use breastmilk on my boys.
antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM

A lot of times kids can get ear infections and recover quickly or not even have severe enough pain to let you know about it. My son has only ever had two "that I've know of" because he got a slight fever and told me his ears hurt. I mixed up a pressed clove of garlic and a bit of olive oil together and put a few drops in his ears, you can also use garlic softgels and just prick one open and drop a few drops in each ear and put a cotton ball to keep it in there. It has worked both times. Ear infections usually resolve themselves within 24 hours but I don't preventatively treat them because my son gets sick rarely and gets ear infections even more rarely. But if he got them often it would probably be a good idea to put some drops in when I notice him getting sick.

jooshysmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM

ok I am going to try that next time then. Yes I am all for that waiting thing but Nico is only 12 months and have been screaming since Friday I swear almost nonstop. I didnt see any other way but to give him amox. Well I am going to do preventative care next time. My 3 yr old never even had an ear infection

Quoting antivaccinemom:

A lot of times kids can get ear infections and recover quickly or not even have severe enough pain to let you know about it. My son has only ever had two "that I've know of" because he got a slight fever and told me his ears hurt. I mixed up a pressed clove of garlic and a bit of olive oil together and put a few drops in his ears, you can also use garlic softgels and just prick one open and drop a few drops in each ear and put a cotton ball to keep it in there. It has worked both times. Ear infections usually resolve themselves within 24 hours but I don't preventatively treat them because my son gets sick rarely and gets ear infections even more rarely. But if he got them often it would probably be a good idea to put some drops in when I notice him getting sick.

For all of its proven PUBLIC health benefits, breastfeeding is a PERSONAL DECISION -- shooting your kid full of toxins, though, is a "social responsibility."

matofour
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM

If my kids start pulling on their ears, or acting funny, or honestly just mommy intuition, we will start the garlic oil in the ears.  My youngest had a lot of ear infections last year, almost to the point of tubes.  We started seeing a chiropractor, using garlic oil, watching his diet and have been able to stop the ear infections.  But, if I notice anything funny, I start the garlic oil right away.

girlintheflock
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM

garlic oil right away when my kids get sick and also i do not go without silver sol in my cabinet.  i use it immediately at the first signs of sickness.

Want healthy kids?  Don't rely on Big Pharma.  They profit off of you and your children staying sick!  Empower yourself and through all natural vitamins and supplements, we can take care of our own!! Ask me about holistic and alternative ways to treat your children.

Peace & Love, Emily

www.mynsp.com/healthykidshappymommy

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I use Garlic Willow Oil, you can find this in the organic section of your grocery store or at a health food store.  Works like a charm..  Dh actualy recently had one and acted like I was nuts and his pain was so bad (he refuses to use any form of meds) and he left me put it in and by that evening he felt much much better!

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

Terri441
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM

We've never had an ear infection in our house, that I've been aware of. I credit our chiropractor a lot for that. He explained to me how the proper alignment in the cervical spine allows the ears to drain as they are supposed to thereby keeping kids from getting ear infections. So far at age 4 and 2 we've been without.

Though for any illness I'm a big fan of garlic :) and have used it topically for yeast or internally for colds or flu-ish like illnesses.

suschi
by Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Here's an excerpt from one of my favorite books,

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.aspx?Id=1175

If you go here, you can look up infection/diseae by name for different types of treatments, from conventional to homeopathic and everything in between ;)

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Center.aspx?CenterId=54

stpalmsgirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM

My dd never had an ear infection but I can remember when she was a baby and i brought her to the chiropractor that he told me if she were ever to came down with one to bring her to him and he could do an adjustment that would help clear the ear infection and no antibiotics would be necessary.

We also have some homeopathic ear drops for ear infection but since she never had one I don't know how well they work. I heard breastmilk does wonders in case you're still nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)