Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do they automatically vaccinate in the hospital after the birth?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM
  • 37 Replies
  • 2234 Total Views

Are there shots children get right after birth? If so I don't recall anyone asking me what was my preference? How do I make my wishes known in the hospital without any mix ups? I have another one on the way and I don't want to make the same mistakes twice.....

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MCEmommy
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM

make a birthing plan--but they have to get your consent first anyways

cmb121906
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

My two kids got the Heb B at birth. When I toured the hospital and stuff I got paperwork and I had a consent form to sign to get my kids the heb b, the vit. K, etc etc. This was before I chose not to vax so my youngest (2) has only had the hep b at birth. Let them know BEFORE you even go into labor, but you have to sign a paper anyways.

chamelinmom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

make it clear you want no vaccinations done. they give heb b, vit k, and eye antibiotic. since i was strep b pos i desided to get the eye antibiotic just in case but nothing else. by law they have to get you to sign a consent form stating that you are allowing them to give the shot. if you make it clear to them that you do NOT want shots given and they do give it, then that can be a lawsuit on your account to them. usually they hide the paperwork for when you first get in and sign all your papers and you sign so many papers you may not remember. make it clear to your dr before birt as well as the nurses when you get in there as well as when your about to give the baby to the nurses to get weighed and all, state it clearly to them no shots. my ob dr made sure the nurses fallowed my instructions

chamelinmom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Quoting cmb121906:

My two kids got the Heb B at birth. When I toured the hospital and stuff I got paperwork and I had a consent form to sign to get my kids the heb b, the vit. K, etc etc. This was before I chose not to vax so my youngest (2) has only had the hep b at birth. Let them know BEFORE you even go into labor, but you have to sign a paper anyways.

on that paper there is a box stating refusal of vax and you know the consiquesnces

caemommy
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

don't ever let the baby out of your (or partner's) sight. If baby goes to the nursery, someone goes with.

enetsala
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Quoting caemommy:

don't ever let the baby out of your (or partner's) sight. If baby goes to the nursery, someone goes with.

AGREED!  I wish we had known.  Hep B is a nasty one and useless for a baby IMO.

fallnangel93
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

When I had my kids they gave me a form to sign if I wanted the hep B shot. With my twins I really didn't know anything that I know now, so they got it (grrrrr, wish I would have known then what I know now) but with my youngest I refused to sign the paper. I always have this fear that they didn't follow my wishes though and gave it to her. I don't think they did, but sometimes the thought enters my mind. That's why when I have my next one (IF I ever get pregnant) I am keeping the baby with me 24/7.

Autumn22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I've already told them and they marked in my chart, but I'm also going to print out a page in my colorful letters what I don't want to happen.

(My Last Name) Baby WILL NOT:

Receive the Hep B Vaccine

Recieve the Eye Goop

Receive the Vit K Shot

Be Circumcised

Have his foreskin retracted

Be given bottles OR pacifiers

(am I missing anything?)

Having him in 2 weeks~! :)

Open_fire
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM

"For those who are planning a hospital birth but want to evade invasive routine post natal procedures such as a Hep B shot, vitamin K injection, newborn screening, or the application of silver nitrate in the newborn's eyes, a very specific birthing plan must be submitted to the hospital in advance of the birth. Hospital staff must be informed, in advance, of your needs, wants and desires where your baby and birthing experience are concerned. The same applies to midwives."

The way to tell them no, varies state to state. I made out a birthing plan/letter and printed out a copy of the vitamin k insert which you should look at here. CLICKY!

I assume before I go in for my c-section they'll be giving me papers to sign and such - I go in 2hrs before my surgery (a not-my-choice-repeat-c-section).. My DD was born in another state and I don't recall getting any papers to sign about vaccinations, but they told me AFTER they gave them to her, why she had a little hole in her foot. I won't mess up this time.

Vaclib is a GREAT site to get info from, they have pages for each state, I believe.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Pishyah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Depends on the hospital, city, state, nurse, etc.  With my son he was given everything with out it ever being mentioned to us.  With my daughter I took precautions to protect us legally so that they had no footing to try to force it and knew ahead of time that it would not be allowed.  They still came to us to try to get us to sign the consent forms, which is the norm here.  SO, one state has consent forms before and the other state doesn't even let you know it'll happen (birthed in two different states). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)