Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have questions: flying with 7 month old

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

I know I read a post about precautions to take when flying with a little one but I can't find it. My dh and I flying to AZ with our 7 month old twins. Does anyone have any ideas about how to keep them healthy? My dh and i usually wear masks on the plane but I know that won't work with the babies. Should I up vitamins and probiotics? What is the most comfortable way for them to keep their ears from popping? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Jenna

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
stpalmsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM

We flew with our dd to Japan when she was 8 month old and besides of me taking an extra dose vit. C 2 weeks in advance and giving her probiotics we didn;t take any other precautions. But you could also give them liquid vit. D3, Carlson makes some for babies which they only need to take one drop of per day. Besides that I did take some sanitizing wipes and wiped everything around us down in the plane, but I am a germ freak. She was totally fine , didn't even catch a cold.

When it came to the landing I breastfeed my dd and she didn't have any problems with the ear popping.

KTee922
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I flew with my dd from Egypt to the States when she was 3 months old and then back  again when she was 9 months old.  We have also flown to London.  She is/has been on probiotics since she was about 3 or 4 months old.  I make sure that she gets more then 15 billion live enzymes.  (a good probiotic). I also breastfed for take off and landing.  If you don't BF then make sure you have bottles for that. I would not be without something for them to drink to alleviate the ear pain/popping.

As far as anything else I just made sure that every surface that they would touch is clean and get some "air detox" from Dr. Schulzes.  https://www.herbdoc.com  It is an all natural spray that is not offensive that I spray a couple of times during the flight around me and the baby. There are also alot of other things on that site... childrens Echinaca that is in liquid form... it's great and also I give her 4000 iu's of D-3 every other day.

She has done fine every time.

Hope that this helps.

Terri441
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I always make sure my kids have a very healthy diet full of vitamin rich food. The only supplement I give my kids regularly is Vit D as we live in a long winter climate with very cold days without much ability to safely get sun exposure and a good probiotic.
I suppose I'm more reactive in the sense that if I feel they are starting to battle a flu bug I give them Vit C and probiotics more dilagently. When we travel I take along Vit C, D, probiotics, and some calcium chew tabs with greens in them. I do that because I don't always feel like I can get them the nutrition I want while we are travelling.
I think I would drive myself crazy if I tried to prevent my kids from coming in contact with germs. I completely recognize that airplanes with their recycled air are notorious for germ sharing but I feel that just because my child gets exposed to a germ does not mean they will get sick, and if they were to get sick they normally have a far easier time with kicking a cold or flu than a lot of other kids I know. Our immune systems being challenged by being exposed to germs and viruses is what makes them stronger, we build up antibodies to all kinds of things we're exposed to without necessarily getting sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)