Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shots Required at birth.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 445 Total Views

I was talking to df about planning home births in the future and it somehow go to the talk of the shots my dd got at the hospital after she was born. I vaguely remember them showing me paperwork at the hospital that I would have to sign if I waved one of the shots for her and it had a seal of the state of Minnesota on it. While I don't remember what the form was about I do remember that it said if I chose to refuse the shot I could be arrested and spend time in jail. Does anyone know what this would be about? We're not planning on having another child for at least a year and a half, but I like to plan WAY in advance and would like to know if I need to be ready to get arrested, since I plan on not giving any future children ANY vax's at birth. Thanks!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AddyLeigh
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Well, not sure exactly which one that would've been, but in my experience they didn't even ASK me when I delivered in a hospital, but my last birth with my midwife she gave me a paper I could sign as a waiver for ANYthing that they routinely do at birth at a hospital, even the eye goo crap, which is supposedly "mandatory" in my state, but she had the waiver for me. So, I'd think if you were doing the next as a homebirth, if you had a MW, she'd have all that paper work for you to sign, if you're not having a MW, maybe contact some in your area and ask them about it and where you can get the appropriate forms.

nessy1980
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM

As a parent you have the right to refuse anything in the hospital for you or your child. When you have another child just tell the hospital you are going to delay the shots I said that with my last child and everything went smooth. I was asked twice because the first time I was said I wasnt sure and the second time I was told by the charge nurse I was going to wait she said she did the same but except I never got my child vaccinated. I know the PKU test is required by law. If the hospital gives you crap tell them you know your rights as a parent.

Ravensong
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Maybe it was the PKU, because I found exemption forms for all the others in my state online just a few hours ago. I just remember them giving me the form( after I had been awake and in labor for a little over 39 hours) and I wasn't really comprehending the information on the form except the, " you could face criminal charges" part. Nice of them to scare me like that, lol. It's really sad that up until recently I had NO idea that I could have a say in what they did to my child after she was born.

Kimosabe
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:24 AM

In most hospitals the shots are not "required" (mandatory), you are just told that so you will comply. Research the shots, Vit K and Hep B, and the neomycin eye drops they give. The PKU is a blood test they do on the child to check for certain "genetic abnormalities". You can decline this as well, I have read that they are simply taking blood of your child to put in storage in order to use against us at some point. I don't know. I have had the PKU with both my children and have never heard from anyone the results. So what is the point, do they really do what they are saying it is for?

With both my children I had the Vit K, Heb B and neomycin declined. Do not let it be called refusal. These are not necessary life saving procedures. My 2nd child's pediatrician in the hospital really pushed the Vit K shot, but I declined. My first dd was fine without it and the fact that the shot may increase a child's likely hood of developing childhood leukemia 26% is very worrisome to me. There was no way my children would ever receive the Hep B shots, why the hell are they given to newborns? 

DawnA72
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Quoting Kimosabe:
There was no way my children would ever receive the Hep B shots, why the hell are they given to newborns? 

This is the big one that concerns me.  It is not safe for newborns, nor is it necessary if the mother does not have Hepatitius B.  And sometimes the mother tests positive even when she isn't. If you test positive for it, do not hesitate to ask for a second test.

Since my newborns won't be shooting up or having sex I feel completely fine with not having the Hep B shot at birth. 

Ravensong
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:39 PM

The only argument I ever read that was FOR the Hep B shot was if a child was going to be attending daycare where there were other children who had it. Apparently it can be shed in fecal matter. I don't even see how it could get spread that way unless the center was disgusting or you had a very mobile fecal matter eating newborn, lol. On a slightly unrelated note- I found vaccine statistics for the state of Minnesota for fully vaccinated children. The percentage for children between the ages of 24 and 36 months who are fully vaccinated is only 54%. I know we have issues here with poverty and people just not taking their children to a doctor, but it made me happy to see that about my state. It's also broken down by county AND by individual shot. I found all this info on the state health departments website.

Thanks for all the replies btw. I'm pretty sure now that it was the PKU test the form was speaking of. It might have been just letting me know that if anything were to happen to my dd related to me declining it that I could be found criminally negligent or something along those lines.

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM

The dumbest part about Hep B is that:

50% develop no symptoms after exposure; life-long immunity
30% develop flu like symptoms only; life-long immunity

only 20% of persons exposed to Hep B develop symptoms that lead to a "diagnosis" of Hep. B

- of that.....LESS THAN  5% become chronic carriers
     75% (of the 5%) live with asymptomatic infection (3.75% of people exposed to Hep B)
     25%( of the 5%) develop liver disease 10-30 years after infection (1.25% of exposed persons)

Meaning there is an 95% chance that IF you are exposed to Hep B you will  NOT even be a "CARRIER", and will also be 'immune' to the disease. Those are pretty nice odds.

seriously???? Vaxing newborns to "protect" them....it really is criminal!

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)