Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 month old is sick...I need suggestions!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 423 Total Views

My 5 month old is really sick.  None of my kids have ever been as bad as she is right now.  My two boys have been sick all week but I think because they are older it effected them differently.  They both ended up with ear infections and one of them has a cough but my five month is TERRIBLE.

I gave her tylenol a couple hours ago...benadryl about 1/2 hour ago.  Put in the bathroom with steam, gave her saline drops, tried to suck her boogers out, she has a humidifier.  Is there anything else I can try?  Even natural remedies.  I do a lot of natural remedies that work with my boys but she too little for those.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stpalmsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM

In case you are breastfeeding you could take a high dosed vit. C but other than that there isn't really much you can give a baby that young. If she has a fever for more than a few days I'd take her to the doctor.

yayay15
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I am breastfeeding and I've been taking about 5000 mg of Vitamin c...should I take more or is that good? 

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

In case you are breastfeeding you could take a high dosed vit. C but other than that there isn't really much you can give a baby that young. If she has a fever for more than a few days I'd take her to the doctor.

no-drama-momma
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM

What exactly are her symptoms? 

COME CHECK OUT MY GROUPS!  
http://www.cafemom.com/group/anything-and-everything 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/food_network  
                                              happy new year 2010

yayay15
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM

She had croup on saturday they gave her a breathing treatment and that is better now.  But she has a terrible cough..she keeps puking up flem and can't sleep.  Her nose is ver stuffy.  Saline drops aren't working.  She had a fever but that's gone for now.  She looks terrible.  I know that's not a symptom but you can tell she feels like shit.

Quoting no-drama-momma:

no-drama-momma
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Just went through that with my son (4 mos old) and my niece (1 month old).... This is what my herbalist had me do and it worked great.... Take Rosemary essential oil and put about 3-5 drops on a washcloth and put the washcloth on the floor of the tub in the stream of a hot shower...sit on the edge of the tub with the bathroom door shut (I know u said u already did steamy bathroom, but hear me out in case this is a little different from what you did)...lay the baby face down on your lap where her head is turned sideways so her cheek is on your leg and her tummy is kinda curved over your other leg (hope this make sense...hard to explain)...Then you want to kind of cup your hand and pat her (palm down of course) from the lower back upwards to her neck...keep doing this patting working your way upwards and then starting over...keep repeating (while rosemary and steam fill bathroom)...have a towel ready because it should cause her to puke up the phlem.  Hope this helps.....hope she gets to feeling better soon....I hate it when they are sick too :(

ETA:  My aunt just sent me an email the other day about something else u may try--I just remembered it... Anyways, you put (this sounds weird) Vick's (well baby vick's in your case) on the soles of her feet and then put socks on her... it is supposed to stop the coughing. 

Quoting yayay15:

She had croup on saturday they gave her a breathing treatment and that is better now.  But she has a terrible cough..she keeps puking up flem and can't sleep.  Her nose is ver stuffy.  Saline drops aren't working.  She had a fever but that's gone for now.  She looks terrible.  I know that's not a symptom but you can tell she feels like shit.

Quoting no-drama-momma:

happy new year 2010

yayay15
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Thanks!!  I will definitely try that first thing tomorrow! Can I get that oil at Vitamin Shoppe or Vitamin Cottage or Sprouts...not sure if you have those stores, lol..but something like that?

Quoting no-drama-momma:

Just went through that with my son (4 mos old) and my niece (1 month old).... This is what my herbalist had me do and it worked great.... Take Rosemary essential oil and put about 3-5 drops on a washcloth and put the washcloth on the floor of the tub in the stream of a hot shower...sit on the edge of the tub with the bathroom door shut (I know u said u already did steamy bathroom, but hear me out in case this is a little different from what you did)...lay the baby face down on your lap where her head is turned sideways so her cheek is on your leg and her tummy is kinda curved over your other leg (hope this make sense...hard to explain)...Then you want to kind of cup your hand and pat her (palm down of course) from the lower back upwards to her neck...keep doing this patting working your way upwards and then starting over...keep repeating (while rosemary and steam fill bathroom)...have a towel ready because it should cause her to puke up the phlem.  Hope this helps.....hope she gets to feeling better soon....I hate it when they are sick too :(

ETA:  My aunt just sent me an email the other day about something else u may try--I just remembered it... Anyways, you put (this sounds weird) Vick's (well baby vick's in your case) on the soles of her feet and then put socks on her... it is supposed to stop the coughing. 

Quoting yayay15:

Quoting no-drama-momma:

no-drama-momma
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I don't have those stores....sorry, I don't know :(  Oh, and just fyi--it is pretty inexpensive too--only cost me $3.95 for a bottle of it...and since u only use 3-5 drops of it at a time, it'll last a while.

Quoting yayay15:

Thanks!!  I will definitely try that first thing tomorrow! Can I get that oil at Vitamin Shoppe or Vitamin Cottage or Sprouts...not sure if you have those stores, lol..but something like that.

happy new year 2010

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM

We do not use Vicks, don't trust it for my kids.  I don't recommend it.  I do use a natural organic chest rub for the kids that has eucylpytus in it and rub that on their feet.  You can continue the steamy bathroom, run a cool mist vaporizer.  You can also put some bm in her nose and that should help.  So will the saline drops.  I would not be giving the tylenol (tylenol only unless absolutely necessary)...or benadryl...is a 5 months old ,old enough for benedryl that seems awfully young...I could be wrong though.

Also, try not to over use the booger sucker, it can irritate her nostils.  If her nose is not running, just use the saline drops and leave it.  That will also loosen stuff up and give her some relief.  Continue with the Vit C.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

yayay15
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Okay thank you.  Yeah they say I can use benedryl.  I didn't want to but tonight I needed to do something.  It's not really helping so I def. won't use it again.  I will also get some of that organic chest rub.   

is bm..breastmilk?  Sorry...i'm kind of stupid.  If it is I will try that.

Also...my son (2 years old ) had an ear infection...so he is on an antibiotic...he got that friday and he keeps grabbing his ear will breastmilk work to help ease his pain?  I feel weird putting breastmilk in his ear but I read somewhere it might work.

Quoting buzymamaof3:

We do not use Vicks, don't trust it for my kids.  I don't recommend it.  I do use a natural organic chest rub for the kids that has eucylpytus in it and rub that on their feet.  You can continue the steamy bathroom, run a cool mist vaporizer.  You can also put some bm in her nose and that should help.  So will the saline drops.  I would not be giving the tylenol (tylenol only unless absolutely necessary)...or benadryl...is a 5 months old ,old enough for benedryl that seems awfully young...I could be wrong though.

Also, try not to over use the booger sucker, it can irritate her nostils.  If her nose is not running, just use the saline drops and leave it.  That will also loosen stuff up and give her some relief.  Continue with the Vit C.

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Sure.  I heard that bm will also help in the ear.  lol, yes, bm, is breast milk.  You can also get some garlic oil drops from any healthfood store (along with the organic chest rub)  I use garlic oil with willow when my kids have an ear ache or infection.  I don't use antibiotics anymore.

Quoting yayay15:

Okay thank you.  Yeah they say I can use benedryl.  I didn't want to but tonight I needed to do something.  It's not really helping so I def. won't use it again.  I will also get some of that organic chest rub.   

is bm..breastmilk?  Sorry...i'm kind of stupid.  If it is I will try that.

Also...my son (2 years old ) had an ear infection...so he is on an antibiotic...he got that friday and he keeps grabbing his ear will breastmilk work to help ease his pain?  I feel weird putting breastmilk in his ear but I read somewhere it might work.

Quoting buzymamaof3:

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdeducated.gif Educated people question image by shadowkitty0602
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnsahm.gif sahm image by bubblegum109

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)