• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

today's vent, stupidity of others

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 370 Total Views

I normally don't vent post but grr. My visit today with my counceller was dissapointing. Vaccines happened to come up, I mentioned how I'd switched my daughters docs many times because they disagreed with me on the matter, were unsupportive. Anyway, she said it's fine if I didn't vaccinate but she could understand where they came from because if everyone decided not to vaccinate "we'd all be dead." She made a suggestion (trying to pass it off as fact) that vaccinated kids were protecting our non vaxed kids. So I simply said, "well I disagree" trying to drop the subject and she says, "and you would, you haven't been through med school." (She hasn't been through med school either.)  I was irritated now but kindly said, "no but I have thoroughly researched the matter" and with her still making (what I thought was being rude..maybe it was just me idk) comments I didn't want to argue (at counselling!) so I just said, "well, I have strong thoughts on the matter but I don't want to talk about it anymore" and it ended, but I was so angry another word would have brought me to tears, and I didn't want to get into, especially with her. Rest of the visit I barely heard  her, still outraged and trying not to cry, (I cry when I'm angry). I think what bothered me the most was not that someone disagreed or was even being so rude about is that it was from my counsellor, the one person I count on for support and now when I talk to her I feel differently about it, still angry and I'm unfocused on the subject at hand. Ugh, anyway, thanks for listening to my venting, needed to tell someone and I know a lot of you here have dealt with ignorant people.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
heydooney
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM

That's totally not her place! Even if she were right, counselors are not supposed to badger you about things like that.

Can you switch? You've obviously experienced a break in the trust and "unconditional positive regard" (I'm studying to be a psychologist, lol) and that's going to hurt your counseling relationship.

Hi, I'm Danielle. Here I am in a nutshell:

catherinemc
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Yup, as a therapist I'm appalled!  She was obviously working her own agenda (according to the way you described it).  I encourage you to bring it back to her and confront her with it.  If she refuses to see that then I would switch.  It may be a good growth opportunity for both of you to open that back up.  Just don't bury it, it didn't sound like it was 'about you', you don't deserve to harbor bad feelings about it.  Heaven knows therapists make poor judgment calls too!  But a good one will take responaibility for it

Let us know how it goes!

Catherine  

Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I would report her. It's not her job to lecture you on the "importance" of vaccines. That is ridiculous.

StarMommy77
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Wow. That was unsupportive of her. I'd feel the same way as you right now. It seems like she has some very strong feelings on the subject that she couldn't keep out of your session.

Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)