Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need To Vent/Talk This Out (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 306 Total Views

Ok, so most of you know that I've given birth prematurely twice now.  With my oldest I went into labor at 33 weeks, they stopped my contractions and then my water broke at 36 weeks and that is when he was born.  With my second I spontaneously went into labor at 34 weeks, they were unable to stop my contractions and that's when he was born.  My first was 6 lb. 5 oz. they measured him at 19 in. in the hospital, but at his 2 week appointment he was measured at 17 in., my second was 6 lb. and 19 in.  REALLY good sized for preemies.  I've never had a single complication in a pregnancy,  I just go into labor early. 

I'm feeling really conflicted and frustrated right now.... I do NOT want to have my newest baby in the Hospital, I am seeing a midwife at a birth center, however, if I go into labor early I will have to go to the Hospital.  I understand that there are certain risks to giving birth prematurely, but I guess I have a hard time grasping WHY I'm going into labor early, there is no explanation any Doctor has been able to come up with.  Is it that bad for me to be going into labor at the time that I am, considering I am having 6 lb.+ babies who rate good APGAR scores at birth???

My boys have had complications, I'll give you that, but after much research I am absolutely convinced that more than likely every single complication either of them had were because of hospital interventions!  They were perfectly healthy at birth, nothing wrong with them!!! 

My oldest had a routine hospital release, he was readmitted the next day for very high jaundice levels (which I now know is a KNOWN side affect of theVit . K shot).  He nursed fine the entire time we were at home, but when he was readmitted a stupid nurse decided he wasn't warm enough and put him under heat lamps, he STOPPED eating!!!  He would pull off the monitor thing that was supposed to regulate the lamps to keep him at a certain body temperature.  The monitor thing would be out in the open air and no one would notice, one time when I caught it, and put the monitor back on my son his body temperature was WAY high, like 99-100+, he was being over-heated!  After a day and a half under those heat lamps, constantly pulling off the monitor that was supposed to regulate things, he had an apnea episode (respiratory issues are also a KNOWN side affect of theVit. K shot).  I really think it was tied to his being overheated and/or the Vit . K shot!  He spent the next few days in the NICU under oxygen, oh, yeah, and more heat lamps.  We ultimately spent about a week total in the hospital, he was released the second time when he was a week old. 

My second son I was allowed to hold for only seconds after his birth before they whisked him away from me.  I didn't know any better by this point to refuse the eye prophylaxis and Vit. K shot, they were both administered immediately.  I'd been diagnosed with Group B Strep upon admittance so they were putting him straight onto antibiotics for that, I'm not real sure if they removed him immediately for that or if he started having breathing issues following theVit. K injection (note, awesome APGAR scores at birth!).  Ultimately he had a pneumothorax in the first 24 hours, transferred to a higher level NICU.  I thoroughly felt sabotaged in breastfeeding while I was there with him, I wasn't even allowed to attempt to nurse him until he was at least a week old!!!!  Then they wanted to supplement after every feeding even though he had no problem latching and nursing, so of course on the SCHEDULE they expected him to eat, he typically wasn't ready to nurse when THEY wanted him to.  Breastfeeding went without a hitch once one wonderful nurse finally just listened to me and let me breastfeed on demand without supplementation!

I'm not entirely sure where I am going with all this..... besides that I wonder if it really was that bad that I had both my boys early, I wonder if the problems they did have weren't caused by medical intervention since they were not present to begin with, if frustrates me!  Also, my Mother-In-Law had every single one of her 4 children on the weekend of her 36th weeks, her biggest baby was my husband and he only weighed 4 lb., she's never in talking about their birth's talked about NICU stays, or said anything about her Doctor being phased by her giving birth at that point in her pregnancy.  My Sister-In-Law experienced pre-mature labor that they stopped over and over and over, despite one failed stress test after another, her son was in distress, he now has Cerebral Palsy due to the cord being wrapped tightly around his neck for a long time, he was trying to be born but they wouldn't let him, they made her go full term, like literally the whole 40 weeks.  I am SO sick of medical intervention!!!!!!  GRRRRRR........................................................

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SuperMommy486
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I am of no help but am sorry your going through this. Good luck hun!!

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM

She should meet with a malpractice attorney and find out if that is standard practice.

With your history (of seemingly healthy pre-term babies that are harmed by interventions) I might consider an "oops" birth, and take him in for a check-up afterwards, but avoid admitting just for the sake of admitting. If you end up in the hospital for the birth, or after, it would be a good idea to have an attorney on hand that will help you say no to medical procedures that can't be supported by fact.

I would research each of the things that happend to your child that you think were the result of hospital practices (I'd try the preemie board at mothering.com) like you were writing a term paper, and take that documentation with you to the hospital if you end up in one.

Being overheated is a KNOWN risk for apnea.

If this all happened at one hospital, I would check your tribe board at mothering.com and see if you can get a reccomendation for another hospital.

I'd also follow a Brewer Diet (I supplemented this with protein shakes due to prior pre-e); if your diet has been a factor at all, perhaps this would get you to the magical 37 week mark.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/nutritionpreg.asp

http://www.fensende.com/~swnymph/Nutrition.html

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Thank you very much for your input! 

We've encouraged my Sister-In-Law to do that.... I think she spoke to an attorney and they would have helped her pursue a lawsuit, I think she just gave it up though, unfortunately. 

Both my boys were born in different hospitals, I now live in a different State, so it would be an entirely different hospital this time.  I am totally tempted to have an "oops" birth, but my husband wouldn't go with that one, lol.  I am supposed to meet with the OB who would see me should I go into preterm labor and not get to birth at the birth center, next week, plan to go over my birth plan and stress the importance of it all then.  I intend to insist on being fully informed regarding any procedure they want to do AT ALL, I'm sick of Doctors just saying, "we need to do this" without giving you any information at all.

Quoting happytexasCM:

She should meet with a malpractice attorney and find out if that is standard practice.

With your history (of seemingly healthy pre-term babies that are harmed by interventions) I might consider an "oops" birth, and take him in for a check-up afterwards, but avoid admitting just for the sake of admitting. If you end up in the hospital for the birth, or after, it would be a good idea to have an attorney on hand that will help you say no to medical procedures that can't be supported by fact.

I would research each of the things that happend to your child that you think were the result of hospital practices (I'd try the preemie board at mothering.com) like you were writing a term paper, and take that documentation with you to the hospital if you end up in one.

Being overheated is a KNOWN risk for apnea.

If this all happened at one hospital, I would check your tribe board at mothering.com and see if you can get a reccomendation for another hospital.

I'd also follow a Brewer Diet (I supplemented this with protein shakes due to prior pre-e); if your diet has been a factor at all, perhaps this would get you to the magical 37 week mark.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/nutritionpreg.asp

http://www.fensende.com/~swnymph/Nutrition.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)