Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your unvaccinated child in daycare?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 9:05 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 788 Total Views

Poll

Question: Is your unvaccinated child in daycare?

Options:

Yes, and he/she got sick a few times

Yes, and he/she rarely got sick

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roniv79
by Member on Feb. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

My 3 year old was in a small "in home" daycare up until 3, she is now in a "big" preschool.  6 months later the only time she has gotten sick and stayed home, I had taken her to a "pox party" and she got them...

Ravensong
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM

My dd was vax'd up to her 18th check up. I stay home with her and she gets a fair amount of colds. She has pretty bad allergies most of the time though:( She also sees her half brother on a regular basis, he is fully vax'd and goes to daycare everyday.

djspacegirl
by Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM

my unvax'd 6y/o is in kindergarden and gets sick maybe once or twice a year.  a normal amount, i think.  not a lot, but she will get the occational "change of seasons" cold.  which, of course, she brings home to my 2 y/o & my husband & me (and now our new baby). 

rainbowbrite
by Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:11 PM

i take my son everwhere we use to go to mommy and me, we have a play group and he raely gets sicks

Lorelai
by Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I have had a home daycare since I was 6 months pregnant and DD(now 6) has had her share of colds and an episode of pink eye. When she went to Pre-k she got Roseola and chicken pox from her classmates though.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
I am a non-vaxing, baby wearing, home schooling: chef, janitor, sock and shoe finder, coat buttoner, diaper changer, nose wiper, waiter, story teller,  activity director, driver, zoo keeper, aerobics instructor, tutor, performer, nurse, noise controller, problem solver, inventor, musician, scientist, speech therapist, peacemaker, Mother and childcare provider. http://www.colleenslittlemonkeys.webs.com/

SuperMommy486
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Nope. None of my kids are vaxed, I'm a SAHM and will start homeschooling next fall. They are very rarely sick. But we go out and do stuff and are around other kids a fair amount.

Loa1002
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I am a SAHM and  my son is 2. he had two really bad colds (think they were colds-yellow snot rockets and could not breathe) last November. Before that just two runy noses (only one nostril and it was clear-the year before.)

he has never been to the Dr for being sick and no ear infections.

I do not know if that is a lot or not.

stpalmsgirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Yes my dd is in daycare. She is 2 1/2 and goes 3 times a week for 2.5 hours. She did get sick a couple of times with fever but it always only lasted about 2 days, she's still breastfeeding though and I think that has something to do with her quick recoveries, because even now whenever she gets sick all she wants is boobie juice. She did not had any shots besides the Hep. B at birth and last year we had the chickenpox,measles and HFMD in daycare and all but 2 children, my dd and another child who already had them before, got sick with the chickenpox.  A whole bunch got sick with measles and HFMD although they are all up do date on their shots.  With the measles and HFMD dd only had a fever for 2 days and was fine, no rash nothing.

Last week after daycare dd got  really sick for a day with an 104 fever and I got kinda worried about her, especially when the fever climbed up 40 min. after we gave her motrin instead of going down. Dh was panicking. But I breastfeed her all day and gave her 5 doses of vit. C and echinacea and 2 doses of vit. D and feed her dishes with lots of raw garlic and she was almost back to her self the next day. On monday when I brought dd they told me they had confirmed cases of the flu, so i guess that's what it was.

I think daycare is good training for her little immune system and seeing how fast she recovers every time or how she doesn't get as sick as the other kids makes me even more confident in our choice.

SabrinaMBowen
by on Feb. 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I work from home, so there is no need for daycare. However, they would be if I had to leave for work. - Sometimes I still wish they were! lol

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Daycare is a germ factory; chances are they will get sick no matter their vaccination status because there are numerous diseases not covered by vaccination.

My 5yo was rarely ill, but when he started kindergarten, he was sick almost non-stop between late August and mid-December.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)