Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long after vaccines are babies contagious?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1421 Total Views

I do not vaccinate, however, my SIL does. She will be vaccinating her 2 month old on thursday and wanted to stop by after to see my kids. My husband kindly told her no, but I just want to be prepared for when her and my MIL question me about it. Thanks so much!!

by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kayliesmommy
by Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM

bump

Kari78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM

2 weeks is the general consensus.  I don't have a link @ the moment, but people have posted several in this group saying the same thing.

allybzn
by Member on Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I just recently emailed Dr. Sherry Tenpenny and asked her this very same question.  Her response to me was - Flumist, Chickenpox, and Rota Virus vaccines can "shed off" neaning be contagious.  The MMR can also shed off but symptoms are rarely seen.  The good news she said is if our unvaccinated child does come in contact with these - they will then have a real immunity for life (chickenpox, rota, mmr)  Think how often we send our unvaxed kids to church or school or in public around dozens of kids who just had shots recently.  I keep two vaccinated kids in my home everyday after school and only asked the mom to inform me when she was getting flumist.  I don't care to have the flu if I can knowingly avoid it.  So if I were you, I'd tell your SIL to come on over and tell her you are hoping to get chickenpox off of her kid so your kid can have a REAL immuntiy!!! 

YannysMummy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM

It's 3 weeks, actually, for live virus vaccines.

Loa1002
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I have read it can be up to 3 weeks of shedding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)