Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kicked out of pediatrician's office, so stressed out i could cry

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 1320 Total Views

so my kids peditrician origonally took kids who parents don't vaccinate but believe me it was a huge deal at every appt. and at the last appt. she gave me the incriminating form & i changed it & she asked me why i would do that & i told her my reasonings & she said i don't  believe that she said you are putting other kids in danger & i said how does that make any since if they are vaccinated thenthey are protected right?

she said hang on a minute please, so i wait like 10 min. & the nurse comes in & said the dr wanted me to tell you she cant see you anymore. to get into kindergarden they want a paper signed by a dr & a dentist plus my daughter still needs well baby visits so im on medicaid & i call & they say we only have 5 pediatricians in the area & they are not taking new patients.

at my wits end what do i do???????

i am a 28 year old non-vaxing, baby wearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing, breastfeeding, non cry it out, non spanking, organic lovin, type of momma to 3 beautiful babies and hopefully one more in the future :)

by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loves_her_baby
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

wow. thats just messed up. im so sorry that happened mama!  my DD is only one but this is one of the reasons i really want to homeschool

Mom_to_Skyler
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM

How old is your daughter?  If you are doing well-baby visits then she is still an infant/toddler, right?  If so, kindergarten is years away.  So this is not an emergency situation.

In which state do you live?  Laws vary from state to state regarding vaccination.  Also, requirements for school sometimes vary from the CDC recommended schedule.

Your daughter doesn't "need" well-baby visits BTW.  You can get info online about measure your baby and checking milestones to make sure she's growing and developing properly.  We don't vax and my pedi only wanted to see her twice in the first year.  It's actually just a nice diversion to take her to the pedi or else I wouldn't even agree to go that often.

Becky

djspacegirl
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM

like one of the pp's said, it vary's from state to state.  check you states' vax exhemption requirements (not the school's) to find out what you need.  here, in az, we only need to fill out a vaccination exhemption form.  i don't even think it had to be notorized.  for ut i had to get an exemption form filled out and signed at the state clinic by a nurse, but it did not have to be a family doctor, and they never onced questioned me about it. 

i know i'm a bit liberal in my view on this, but we don't do well-baby check-ups at all.  i homebirth, and my midwife does all the newborn screenings & a follow-up exam and after that i just go into urgent care for emergencies (only my oldest has ever needed to go in, and that was to have her lip stiched after she fell when she was 3).  my youngest two have never stepped foot in a hospital, and i'd love to keep it that way.

sorry that happened to you though..... 

coolestmomeva
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM

well i dont even go to the pedi anymore...i mean whats the point? she doesnt get her shots..so its like the only reason to go is to see if she is the right length and height?  i can do that online...or just look at her..lol...my pedi was semi ok with the non vax thing..but tried to push me everytime i went....so i just dont go..i dont need to...my child is healthy...know what i mean?  i dont go to the doc unless im sick....so thats how it is for my girl...

LeslieFaye
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Wow, even a dentist! Sorry I really have no advice. In which state do you live? Did you call any of the peds and see if they may just do her paperwork to get her into school but not take her as a patient.

If you are on medicaid do they insist that you do well baby visits? I just found out I'm pregnant and since my husband was laid off we have no ins. I have an apt to apply for PCAP but I really don"t want the baby to be on medicaid which I know comes automatically for the first year. I stopped taking my 2yo at 6mos when we stopped vaxing. I didn't have any trouble getting my 6yo into kindergarten without all of her shots. I was actually shocked at how supportive they were!  We are lucky to have a school based health zone where they are obligated to see the kids (and its free)

jess311
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM

i have a 3 month old & 5 year old lol sry i should have put that lol

Quoting Mom_to_Skyler:

How old is your daughter?  If you are doing well-baby visits then she is still an infant/toddler, right?  If so, kindergarten is years away.  So this is not an emergency situation.

In which state do you live?  Laws vary from state to state regarding vaccination.  Also, requirements for school sometimes vary from the CDC recommended schedule.

Your daughter doesn't "need" well-baby visits BTW.  You can get info online about measure your baby and checking milestones to make sure she's growing and developing properly.  We don't vax and my pedi only wanted to see her twice in the first year.  It's actually just a nice diversion to take her to the pedi or else I wouldn't even agree to go that often.

Becky

i am a 28 year old non-vaxing, baby wearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing, breastfeeding, non cry it out, non spanking, organic lovin, type of momma to 3 beautiful babies and hopefully one more in the future :)

jess311
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:54 PM

im in indiana & i just want to say thanks for taking time to respond i will read them all later i wasnt expecting so many replies :)

monkeyberry
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Ok, so what I checked out on here

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/indiana.htm

is that you have medical AND religious exemption! I wonder if you could have the physical done by a chiro? Check out the website, I think they have exemption forms and examples of letters you can use. Have you considered homeschooling? Just a thought! Vaccines and all the hoopla you are expected to do once your kids are school age are just a couple of the reasons I do it!

Good luck!

chamelinmom
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM

just call the other drs and see when they are accepting new people when they do call them in. What you can do if its that big of an issue, just TELL them you are delaying them, that way they keep bugging you and just keep having them put off and put off. my dr doesnt care, im sorry your going though this. Dont worry mama, kids dont NEED a dr unless they are extreemly sick

chamelinmom
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM

we are homeschooling. there is a lot of good homeschooling curriculums, even if its just a year or 2, you may find you love it. We use http://www.aop.com/ horizons program

Quoting monkeyberry:

Ok, so what I checked out on here

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/indiana.htm

is that you have medical AND religious exemption! I wonder if you could have the physical done by a chiro? Check out the website, I think they have exemption forms and examples of letters you can use. Have you considered homeschooling? Just a thought! Vaccines and all the hoopla you are expected to do once your kids are school age are just a couple of the reasons I do it!

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)