Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does government funded day care Head Start require vaxing?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 536 Total Views

I live in CA and am needing to enroll my 2 and 3 year old into day care. I was going to go with a state funding day care called Head Start. On their official website it says you need proof of vaxing to enroll your child. I am guessing there is a way out of this?Is anyone familar with Head Start and their rules? Are my children except even though this is a state funded program?

Anyone who has info on this please let me know what i need to do to keep my kids vax free and yet enroll them in this Day Care.

Thanks in advance! :)

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Just submit a school style exemption.

Dani960
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:37 AM

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/california.htm

Your state has philosophical as well as religious waivers and since it is a funded program all you need is to send in either form

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Quoting Dani960:

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/california.htm

Your state has philosophical as well as religious waivers and since it is a funded program all you need is to send in either form

In CA it is just a check box on the reverse of the vaccine record for school.

Dani960
by Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I'm moving to CA

Autumn22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I did that today and they said that since they are a daycare, they only allow medical and religious and they have the power to not allow religious so they said my daughter would have to get the vaccines to get in. :(

Quoting happytexasCM:

MyJordyLu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM

They are legally supposed to accept exemptions when they are state funded programs!

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Quoting Autumn22:

I did that today and they said that since they are a daycare, they only allow medical and religious and they have the power to not allow religious so they said my daughter would have to get the vaccines to get in. :(

Quoting happytexasCM:

Re-read your thread, I answered this. If the STATE does not prohibit admission to a daycare without vaccination then the Head Start Program cannot deny admission.

I – 056 Can a Head Start program’s selection criteria include a requirement that children be up-to-date on their immunizations and other health screenings (such as tuberculosis)?

I – 057 Can a child be denied entry into Head Start if they are not up to date on their physical or immunizations?

LoveTwobabies
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to two different Head Starts locally (in CA) and they both told me that I would need a note from THE KIDS DOCTOR saying why I don't vaccinate. This is getting really frustrating because their doctor doesn't like that I don't do vax and I doubt she will write it...besides I am the one not vaxing so why can't I write the letter? What is this all about??

frustrated

nessy1980
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Quoting LoveTwobabies:

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to two different Head Starts locally (in CA) and they both told me that I would need a note from THE KIDS DOCTOR saying why I don't vaccinate. This is getting really frustrating because their doctor doesn't like that I don't do vax and I doubt she will write it...besides I am the one not vaxing so why can't I write the letter? What is this all about??

frustrated

Try to see Dr Sears for the letter if you can see him. That school distict is messed up.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Quoting LoveTwobabies:

Head Start is no different than any other organization that doesn't know the law, thinks they know the law, or doesn't care what the law says.

Turn in your CA exemption with a copy of the HeadStart law and the daycare immunization law; if they balk say that your exemption is in compliance with the law--if they disagree then they need to explain why they think you are not in compliance and reference the specific part of the law, in writing and with their signature and duty title.

2010 Special California Immunization Requirements for Child Care

I – 056 Can a Head Start program’s selection criteria include a requirement that children be up-to-date on their immunizations and other health screenings (such as tuberculosis)?

I – 057 Can a child be denied entry into Head Start if they are not up to date on their physical or immunizations?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)