Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical exemption

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 493 Total Views

So with my younger son, He is highly allergic to dairy, soy, and eggs. All the vaxs I have looked at have one (or more) of the three.

How hard is it to get a medical exemption? With our older I am going to get a religious exemption. He has most of his vax's, just not on the normal schedule. But I dont think the school needs to know anything about it.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DevynHummer
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM

You would need to ask your Dr for a medical exemption. 

Also, I don't think it is very cool to refer to it as a "real" reason. We all have a very real reason not to vaccinate our kids....and that is to protect their immune systems among other things. I am pretty offended by you saying that. 

calebmama
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM

The quote marks "" make it sarcasm. as in, where I live medical is the only real reason, in the eyes of the law, to not get vaxed, and I think it is crap.

I edited my OP to add that. I thought the sarcasm would come across better in a group of people who also believe he same way I do about vaxs.

Quoting DevynHummer:

Also, I don't think it is very cool to refer to it as a "real" reason. We all have a very real reason not to vaccinate our kids....and that is to protect their immune systems among other things. I am pretty offended by you saying that. 

DevynHummer
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Okay. Well I am pretty sure the only way you can get the med exemp is to have a Dr do it for you. I would try to find a non vax friendly Dr to do the exemption. 

What state do you live in?

Quoting calebmama:

The quote marks "" make it sarcasm. as in, where I live medical is the only real reason, in the eyes of the law, to not get vaxed, and I think it is crap.

Quoting DevynHummer:

LeslieFaye
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Go with religious  - they can not ask any questions - and do not give any more info than is required.  Do not tell them he is getting them.  I believe that would void your sincere religious belief.  Medical exemptions are not easy to obtain.

baby

calebmama
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I am in VA. His doctor now has not said anything unless I bring it up about vax for the kids, cuz I told her we dont vax the 1st time we saw her, but Im not sure how far her being ok will go, ykwim?

Quoting DevynHummer:

Okay. Well I am pretty sure the only way you can get the med exemp is to have a Dr do it for you. I would try to find a non vax friendly Dr to do the exemption. 

What state do you live in?

Quoting calebmama:

Quoting DevynHummer:

asherraifsmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I knew you meant it to be sarcasm, but just a warning...sarcasm does not come off very well online, and i suspect a  lot of people will read that and get really ticked off and respond in a very negative way...just warning you ;-)

Like i said, I knew what you meant by the quotes, but those things are hard to translate in cyberspace.

Um...what state do you live in? Because you say that you're going to get a religious exemption for your other child, but that medical one is the only one accepted in your state? There only 2 states in the US that only allow medical exemption...and those 2 states do not allow religious exemption so it would pointless to use it with your other child there. In other states, the religious exemption is perfectly legal, even if they try to pressure you to believe otherwise.

As for medical exemptions, how hard they are to get depends a lot on your doctor...how sympathetic they are to nonvaxing parents. But, if your child is highly allergic to eggs and you've had tests done to prove it, i'd think a doctor would sign a form.

calebmama
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I edited my whole 1st post, sorry if it did not come across the right way.

calebmama
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Im in VA. They have religious and medical here. My older son would not qualify for a religious exemption, but I am thinking because of how bad his allergies would be, my younger child would. I am also thinking that a medical exemption would be easier to put through (accepted easier) then a religious.

Quoting asherraifsmom:

I knew you meant it to be sarcasm, but just a warning...sarcasm does not come off very well online, and i suspect a  lot of people will read that and get really ticked off and respond in a very negative way...just warning you ;-)

Like i said, I knew what you meant by the quotes, but those things are hard to translate in cyberspace.

Um...what state do you live in? Because you say that you're going to get a religious exemption for your other child, but that medical one is the only one accepted in your state? There only 2 states in the US that only allow medical exemption...and those 2 states do not allow religious exemption so it would pointless to use it with your other child there. In other states, the religious exemption is perfectly legal, even if they try to pressure you to believe otherwise.

As for medical exemptions, how hard they are to get depends a lot on your doctor...how sympathetic they are to nonvaxing parents. But, if your child is highly allergic to eggs and you've had tests done to prove it, i'd think a doctor would sign a form.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Why wouldn't your older son qualify?

Previous vaccination does not disqualify him for an exemption.

If you are using public schools a religious exemption should not be a problem, though it would be nice to have medical validation in your child's records so you aren't hassled at each appointment.

I got the sarcasm displayed via quotation marks and believe that you are right in expecting that a group using varying types of exemptions would understand what you meant ;o)  In the mainstream most believe the only """""real""""" reason to be exempt is a life threatening condition/reaction, particularly one that nearly killed you/your child already. I've known 2 people who were told to only be vaxed in an ER with a defibrilator--for some, no reason is good enough!

calebmama
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

My older son qualifies for a religion exemption, but not a medical one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)