Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

German measles (Ruebella)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

When I went in for my last prenatal visit I was told that my lab work showed I am not immune to German measles. Which the midwife thought was odd since I was in 2007.  She said the vaccine probably wore off and I should get a booster.   The info I read said it is most dangerous to pregnant women's unborn children.  I am not going to get the booster but is this something I should worry about?  If so what precautions should I be taking besides staying healthy.

baby

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I would not get ANY vaccine while pregnant, never mind a LIVE vaccine--what is your mw smoking?

Just keep taking your vitamins and eat fruits and veggies.

Hiliary Butler on Rubella

Quote:

The likelihood of a baby becoming congenitally deformed is mother-dependant, in that her diet (Vitamin A, folic acid) and how many weeks pregnant she is are the important factors. After all, 80% of pregnant women who catch rubella in the first trimester do not have babies with congenital deformities.

http://www.deafblind.com/crs.html

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Just know this: Even if your test showed that you aren't immune doesn't mean you WILL get it if exposed, neither does showing adequate antibodies mean that you WON'T get it.

There is a whole lot more to the immune system than antibody response! Is your midwife up to date on her Rubella because she's exposed to the greatest percentage of pregnant women???

I'm also quite surprised that she would recommend a booster, being a midwife and all. Is she a CNM, a MEDwife? Really just an OB in sheep's clothing....

Funny that they don't want pregnant women exposed to Rubella and YET RECOMMEND YOU INJECT YOURSELF WITH IT, HA the hypocrisy!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. When winter comes, keep up with 15,000 of Vitamin D3, 1000 Vitamin C, and your pre-natal daily.

DevynHummer
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I showed no immunity to it too. Just obviously don't hang out with anyone that has Rubella! LOL I am SHOCKED that a midwife told you to get the booster!

LeslieFaye
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I go to a hospital based birthing center with CNMs some of them are not very natural.  I don't plan to get the booster and I am past 20 wks now anyway which is the most dangerous for baby (or so I read)

LeslieFaye
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Thank you for the reassurance.  My grandmother (not sure why I told her) is now convinced that my baby will be blind. 

baby

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Quoting LeslieFaye:

Thank you for the reassurance.  My grandmother (not sure why I told her) is not convinced that my baby will be blind. 

Only if you had Rubella in the first half of pregnancy and you are part of that 20% and you are vitamin A and folic acid deficient.

Besides, if you had Rubella while pregnant you should be showing antibodies;o)  --sorry grandma, find something else to worry about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)